Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Sunn amps production returning? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Sunn amps production returning?

What's Hot

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    bet its just a tubescreamer clone
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 837
    83 days?! That's a helluva teaser campaign. Maybe they're announcing legal action against the band for pinching the name?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 287
    If that's true (return to production, not suing the band), I hope they did their research and won't come up with blues lawyers low watts or Sunn Tonemasters.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 961
    Reissues of the Model T. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    If that's true (return to production, not suing the band), I hope they did their research and won't come up with blues lawyers low watts or Sunn Tonemasters.
    My thoughts exactly. We want doom and we want it now. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    It should be massive high-power solid-state heads, but sadly somehow I doubt it.

Interesting snippet… Clapton’s sound on D&TD Live At The Filmore - which a lot of his fans think is his best-ever tone - is a Sunn Coliseum Lead head through a Marshall 4x12” cab :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I've toured with these, still have them around

And yes, I had teriffic tone with Beta Lead through a 1960 4x12.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 211
    Who owns Sunn now?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Fender certainly did, but I don’t know now - they’ve also sold some of the brands they previously bought.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Fender acquired Sunn in 1985, relocating operations from Tualatin to Lake Oswego. The stated intent was to both revitalize the Sunn amplifier lines and to produce some Fender-branded models as well, which included the Standard Series (Princeton Chorus and Ultra/Ultimate Chorus, both solid-state) and M-80 Series, and are identified as USA-made amplifiers with an "LO"-prefix serial number.

Fender shut down the sunn operation in 2002.

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    edited May 2023
    Jeez, if Sunn are responsible for the Fender M80, my first ‘proper’ amp, they deserved to die!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited May 2023
    It seems that Fender was responsible for this RIP Fender.
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 202
    So Fender shut down Sunn as well as Hamer and SWR?  It's almost as if they buy good gear manufacturers just to take them out of the market so that their own tired, poorly-made yet staggeringly profitable products have less competition. 

Surely the soulless marketing lizards at Fender wouldn't do that.

Well, not more than once a year, anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    There was a Coliseum PA head in an auction a couple of months back, it went for crazy money. Not sure who needs that much stage volume from a guitar or bass amp these days!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Stuckfast said:
    There was a Coliseum PA head in an auction a couple of months back, it went for crazy money. Not sure who needs that much stage volume from a guitar or bass amp these days!
    Doom I guess

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    @roberty - shit the bed, one to give Lemmy an extra spin in his grave there :lol:
    randella said:
    @roberty - shit the bed, one to give Lemmy an extra spin in his grave there :lol:
    That's Sun O)))
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    When they played temples fest a few years back there were people getting nosebleeds. They also burned through £18k of PA
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 86
    Their tech rider is available and great comedy reading - my friend was at the 2017 Barbican show and didn't crap himself, but said it was a close call.

Keeping an interested eye on the Sunn launch. Doesn't seem particularly 'pro' for Fender but can't imagine them selling off a tradename when they could just sit on it on the off chance they eventually want to use it.
    roberty said:
    randella said:
    That's Sun O)))
    I figured it was a doom band of some sort - I only typed half the post that was in my head which didn't help :lol:

I was watching a Motorhead documentary yesterday, they were loud, I'll bet there are louder bands now, I'm tired and it's Monday etc. ;)
    randella said:
    roberty said:
    randella said:
    That's Sun O)))
    I figured it was a doom band of some sort - I only typed half the post that was in my head which didn't help :lol:

I was watching a Motorhead documentary yesterday, they were loud, I'll bet there are louder bands now, I'm tired and it's Monday etc. ;)
    Sorry I mean I was just saying. I know the house engineer at SWX and he measured the dBs for Sun O))) when they played there. Can't remember what it was now but it was ridiculous

I think concerts have actually got quieter over the years as live sound has become more scientific and directional. It wouldn't surprise me if Motorhead were louder than nearly every touring act today
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Swans, Dinosaur jr and My Bloody Valentine. Maybe A Place to Bury Strangers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited May 2023
    roberty said:
    randella said:
    roberty said:
    randella said:
    @roberty - shit the bed, one to give Lemmy an extra spin in his grave there lol
    That's Sun O)))
    I figured it was a doom band of some sort - I only typed half the post that was in my head which didn't help lol

I was watching a Motorhead documentary yesterday, they were loud, I'll bet there are louder bands now, I'm tired and it's Monday etc.
    Sorry I mean I was just saying. I know the house engineer at SWX and he measured the dBs for Sun O))) when they played there. Can't remember what it was now but it was ridiculous

I think concerts have actually got quieter over the years as live sound has become more scientific and directional. It wouldn't surprise me if Motorhead were louder than nearly every touring act today
    I wasn't making much sense at all so it's deffo on me that one. Now wondering about the crap I've been emailing people with all morning lol

One of the bits in the Motorhead docco was Wurzel saying that at one soundcheck he wandered across the stage - he could hear his amps, Philthy's drums, Lemmy's amps... There was no way in hell he was ever going to hear more than one at once.

That image you posted, you wonder if the same was true? I was under the impression that big stages were relatively quiet these days but that setup - if even half of it is running - must be like unleashing hell itself.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    I’m not sure it’s possible to be louder than Motörhead. I mean I’m sure it is scientifically but at that stage it’s really a moot point, it was all just mush 5 minutes into both gigs I saw and I had earplugs in at both!
    randella said:
    roberty said:
    randella said:
    roberty said:
    randella said:
    @roberty - shit the bed, one to give Lemmy an extra spin in his grave there lol
    That's Sun O)))
    I figured it was a doom band of some sort - I only typed half the post that was in my head which didn't help lol

I was watching a Motorhead documentary yesterday, they were loud, I'll bet there are louder bands now, I'm tired and it's Monday etc.

I wasn't making much sense at all so it's deffo on me that one. Now wondering about the crap I've been emailing people with all morning lol

One of the bits in the Motorhead docco was Wurzel saying that at one soundcheck he wandered across the stage - he could hear his amps, Philthy's drums, Lemmy's amps... There was no way in hell he was ever going to hear more than one at once.

That image you posted, you wonder if the same was true? I was under the impression that big stages were relatively quiet these days but that setup - if even half of it is running - must be like unleashing hell itself.
    I don't think the house PA was used at SWX. It was a while ago though I could be misremembering
    I’m not sure it’s possible to be louder than Motörhead. I mean I’m sure it is scientifically but at that stage it’s really a moot point, it was all just mush 5 minutes into both gigs I saw and I had earplugs in at both!
    The loudest gig I saw was The Fall at the Brixton Electric. Painful. I don't get it really, although I do like loud music

It wouldn't make sense for Sunn to come back as a budget brand IMO so maybe they'll be doing 100 watt + PA style heads for the doom squad
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Moe_Zambeek said:

Quite a few bands have been louder than Motorhead. 

Remember chatting to Matt Pike many years ago and he reckocined that High On Fire were louder on stage than Motorhead when they toured together - quite likely that they had a lot more low end and Motorhead turned the bass down to zero. With Sleep, Matt is using a wall of ORange these days.
    The loudest band of all time were Swans in the 80s, followed but My Bloody Valentine.

Sunn often had Chris Fullard doing sound for them and when he did Cathedral at Damnation they were hitting 124db onstage and 129db at the sound desk.

• oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 742
    I saw Sonic Youth in the late 80's/early 90's and couldn't get over how quiet they were. I asked the barman what was going on and he explained that MBV had played the week before and blown up the PA system.

I've seen Sun O))) twice and don't really get them - as far as volume goes it's loud but there's no highs so it's never painful more like a blanket.

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    I went to see Boris play Settle (yes, bizarre) Victoria Hall.

Two guitarists, one with a double neck bass/guitar.

Both guitarists going through their own guitar rig and a bass rig (all big stacks).

They do the whole drone/doom/rock n roll. Fantastic live.

I think Dino Jr are the loudest band I’ve seen. I hope I see MBV! 
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1268
    I saw Motorhead at the Apollo in Glasgow in '82, and after about twenty minutes it was like white noise with thumps in it.

The only band I've seen who were louder were Status Quo a few weeks earlier - although arguably my ears were still shot from that gig when I saw Motorhead