Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Early Moods - doom par excellence - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Early Moods - doom par excellence

What's Hot
I've been raving about this band to my mates with little response so I'll try here. A bit late to the party as their debut album was out in 2022. The press blurb for this LA band is 'Black Sabbath crossed with NWOBHM'. To me it sound like the doom of sabbath with the energy of early Iron Maiden.

I listen to a lot of doom and stoner rock, but much of it is kind of average. Early Moods for me stands out from the pack, superb riffs, vocals, solos, it works so well. They've also done the Sabbath trinity: a song called Early Moods on their debut LP Early Moods, by Early Moods. 

Check them out and tell me what you think. Good or just another band doing the same old?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited May 2023
    On first listen I like it, without being blown away - which sounds like I'm being dismissive, but I don't mean to be, I just think I'd need to hear more, and let it sink in.

It's not really very doomy or stoner-ish, I see what you mean about the Maiden/NWOBHM elements.  It reminds me a little bit of Magic Circle or Sumerlands, but the vocals aren't as good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yeah, these labels, it does get confusing as people use them in different ways. I see doom used for a wide range of styles, from sabbathy stoner to full on extreme sludge stuff. I suppose this band is quite old school, no frills metal in a way, though some of the album tracks are a bit slower and more sabbathy/stoner. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    It's kind of like old school metal, played with a doomy sound.  I think of (say) Judas Priest as having quite a bright, hard-edged sound, but this is definitely a bit soft and blurry around the edges. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    edited May 2023
    First thing I thought was Sabbath/Maiden and then I read your post :-)
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Its less maiden, and more witchfinder general meets pentagram
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2863
    edited May 2023
    Reverend said:
    I'll check them out. I was investigating Candlemass last week as part of my continual education in heavy metal.

What do you make of Early Moods, Rev? 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Reverend said:
    I'll check them out. I was investigating Candlemass last week as part of my continual education in heavy metal.

What do you make of Early Moods, Rev? 
    I really like the album. Nice high energy vibe