Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Avalon 12 String value? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Avalon 12 String value?

What's Hot
Made in 2018 by these very experienced Belfast Luthiers.

It’s a beautifully made guitar, with a very distinctive and complex tone. Spruce and Rosewood.

The only reason I want to sell is that I struggle with the thickness of the neck. I should have known not to order a twelve string blind.

Any opinions reallyaprreciated. I think the new price was £2900 including pick up
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Normally I'd say 50-60% of the.
    I price of a new one. But not sure, with this. @TheMadMick is probably the one to ask about Avalon. 

But.on the neck issue, it's easy to get it wrong. I did. I knew it wasn't right but thought I could get used to it. Big mistake. 

:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SmellyfingersSmellyfingers Frets: 842
    edited May 2023
    Mellish said:
    Normally I'd say 50-60% of the.
    I price of a new one. But not sure, with this. @TheMadMick is probably the one to ask about Avalon. 

But.on the neck issue, it's easy to get it wrong. I did. I knew it wasn't right but thought I could get used to it. Big mistake. 

Allowing for inflation I think they would be a minimum of £3500 now( it’s got a factory fitted advanced fishman pick up).

I would’nt be a desperate seller, which is probably good, because it’s a niche item,( particularly as probably  only suit a big handed player able to handle a thick necked twelve string). I do feel a bit peeved that that one thing has spoilt this special instrument for me.

But  iI think you are right, thinking you can learn to live with an uncomfortable neck is like wearing shoes that are a size too big.
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 213
    I don't know about the resale value but your estimate new price isn't far wrong. However, the market for 12 strings is more limited than for 6 string. You may either need to trim your price or be prepared to wait to move it on if that's your intent.

I'd agree about the neck on an Avalon but I'm not overly sensitive to the neck thickness provided I can readily get my mit around it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    I don't know about the resale value but your estimate new price isn't far wrong. However, the market for 12 strings is more limited than for 6 string. You may either need to trim your price or be prepared to wait to move it on if that's your intent.

I'd agree about the neck on an Avalon but I'm not overly sensitive to the neck thickness provided I can readily get my mit around it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    That’s OK. I think neck configuration maybe more of an issue in twelve strings, because of the extra pressure needed etc. That said it’s got a light action for a 12

I was thinking 1850 at the very minimum, given it has not had a lot of use. Unfortunately that would translate to 2k on eBay because of their commission.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    How thick is "thick". Are we talking nut width or neck profile or both?

Bear in mind that the standard nut for a 12-string is 50mm, with 48mm also common. !2s always have wide necks, very nearly as wide as a classical. Anything less than 48mm in a 12 is just weird, and very uncommon. (Not to mention hard to play.)

Chances are that you have a perfectly normal 12-string neck and should not discount it at all on that basis. 
    edited May 2023
    Tannin said:
    How thick is "thick". Are we talking nut width or neck profile or both?

Bear in mind that the standard nut for a 12-string is 50mm, with 48mm also common. !2s always have wide necks, very nearly as wide as a classical. Anything less than 48mm in a 12 is just weird, and very uncommon. (Not to mention hard to play.)

Chances are that you have a perfectly normal 12-string neck and should not discount it at all on that basis. 
    It is the 50mm nut width. The issue for me is that Avalons have particularly chunky neck profiles. And I have unusually small hands for a man my size.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Ah, thank you. That makes sense. My most-recent 12-string, like yours in a way, also gave me trouble with the neck. It was 50mm wide and I'm fine with that, I started on classical (50 or 52mm) and usually played mostly or exclusively 12-strings from age 17 or so for the next 40 years. I switched to 6-string when I got serious about playing again in 2018 or so, and still find the standard 44mm 6-string neck too squeezy. 

In late 2020 I bought another 12-string, a Cole Clark. It had the normal 50mm nut but an odd neck profile, essentially the same as their (excellent) 44mm 6-string neck but with a flat section up the middle. In other words instead of being a standard C it was a flattish D profile. It felt odd in the shop but I thought I'd get used to it, as I pretty much always do with different neck profiles.

Nope. I never did.

I decided I wasn't a 12-string player anymore and strung it as a 6 for a while, but I still couldn't get used to that neck profile. In the end I sold it. 

The silly thing here is that you would quite likely be fine with the Cole Clark 12's neck profile, and I'd love the Avalon's!

(I'm not a big man, 5'10" in the old money, but I have fairly large hands. So we are more-or-less opposites!)

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    I'm OK with nut width, and I'm sort of fine with a chunky profile. It's when they both come on the same guitar that I..well, not struggle as such, but uncomfortable with it. 

• High end 12 string guitars are a hard sell, you will need patience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    @Smellyfingers , would it be possible to have the neck profile adjusted (slimmed or flattened) by either the original luthier or someone competent?
    I admit up front I have no idea if this is possible or what it would cost.
     Just a thought as you say you like the guitar and as Malcolm said, you're looking to sell to a niche market.
    Good luck whatever you decide.

• I have had a neck reshaped very successfully, so it's certainly possible. The problem however is, if the reshaped neck doesn't suit him, he has devalued the guitar considerably. 
    For anyone wanting a high end 12 string, the Avalon is a good choice, it just might take a while to sell.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    Great guitars but I also found the neck a tad too chunky