Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Small body reshape project - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Small body reshape project

What's Hot
davrosdavros Frets: 1246
edited May 2023 in Making & Modding
I built this a few years ago, but have never been happy with the body shape - too wide in the lower bout and the horn was too long. I was going to bin it and start again, but this piece of ash was too nice not to try and reshape it.

I didn't want to change the pickguard because it only just covers the cavities, so, I cut down the long horn and slimmed the upper bout a tiny bit and the lower bouts by about 10mm each side. It's now the width of a strat.

I think it needs a little more fettling to make the shape flow properly but I think it's an improvement.

Before

After

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Very subtle changes, and definite improvement to my eyes.  

And a too nice a piece of timber to have hidden under paint  ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1246
    Thanks Tony,

Unfortunately, while telling myself that I was taking too deep a cut on the router, I tore a big chunk from the side. I'm going to attempt a repair and see how well hidden it is, otherwise it might have to be painted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JGTayJGTay Frets: 209
    How big a chunk? Have to agree with Tony, too nice a piece of wood to hide away.  :)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited May 2023
    Tony knows about router mishaps. grin
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Managed to get this done. I'm much happier with the shape. Was tempted to start again with a redesign but trimming some width and shortening the horn improved it enough. I didn't want to have to do a new scratchplate.

I also didn't want to have to go to great expense finishing it, so I used about 15 part empty cans of nitro, and half a can of sonic blue from the original build. Juuuust enough to do the job. Last time I didn't grain fill because I wanted to keep the grain but, it pinholed when spraying and the grain got filled with crud, so this time I grain filled so it's a smooth surface.

There were a couple of other things I fixed - the trem claw screws were always badly drilled (I didn't have a long bit at the time), so I plugged them, and the trem block hit the body inside with only a little upward bend, so added a mm or so with the router.

I patched the router tearout with a piece from the original body blank. Somewhere I must have flipped it because the grain match is all wrong but at the point of gluing it in I couldn't be arsed any more. It looks fine though.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    That looks brilliant.  Definite subtle improvement to the shape.  The repair looks absolutely fine.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    Amazing work, you build a lovely guitar dude. 
    Thanks Chaps!
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1732
    That's stunning! Love how the back is natural and the top is immaculate! 
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.