Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Bracing - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Bracing

What's Hot
Asking out of genuine ignorance - is the bracing the same on a leftie, or do they switch it around?

I assume the bridge gets switched around, as on all the acoustics I have, including on the ones I made myself, the bridge is at a slight angle upwards as the strings get higher.

So I was wondering, as the bracing patterns aren't symmetrical, would they change around as well?
If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• On a high end, luthier built guitar the structure will take playing lefthanded into account, on a cheaper instrument I would doubt it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    It is normal to switch the bracing around the other way on factory guitars also. This is one of the many reasons they are more expensive and can be hard to get. It'd not just a matter of moving the saddle and swapping the strings around.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 241
    Normally the bracing on an asymmetrically-braced guitar would be switched round for a new left-handed guitar. However, the big question is - does it have any affect on the sound or structural stability of the guitar? From the views of a couple of well-known luthiers, in most cases it doesn't. I'm a lefty who has quite a few conversions done - and I've found the same.

However, changing the bridge saddle slot compensation angle (a luthier job) and, perhaps, the saddle (depending on design) is important - otherwise intonation will be out up the fretboard. Then there's the nut, fretboard side dots - and an upside down pick guard is never a good look.

I remember reading on a Martin forum that asymmetric bracing is beneficial for a steel-strung guitar - but it doesn't matter which way round it goes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1486
    I expect that the bracing would have to be different for a left-handed guitar, should the guitar in question have a cutaway, and this being independent of luthier/factory build. The only cost difference I can think of would be the requirement for two sets of bracing jigs, hardly an issue for any build situation beyond hobbyist.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 241
    Kalimna said:
    I expect that the bracing would have to be different for a left-handed guitar, should the guitar in question have a cutaway, and this being independent of luthier/factory build. The only cost difference I can think of would be the requirement for two sets of bracing jigs, hardly an issue for any build situation beyond hobbyist.
    I forgot to add - an upside down cutaway is never a good look for a guitar either (and defeats the benefits of having a cutaway).
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    GTC said:
    Kalimna said:
    I forgot to add - an upside down cutaway is never a good look for a guitar either (and defeats the benefits of having a cutaway).
    there are "double cuts"  to be found
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.