Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Anyone had any fret markers laser cutting done? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Anyone had any fret markers laser cutting done?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
On a whim I'm wondering if I would like some MoP (or similar looking) Roman numeral fretboard inlays on my next guitar build. I assume that's the sort of thing that could be done with laser cutting? I've not found any available products out there. 

Anyone had such a thing done and got any idea of the cost? I'm just thinking about the pieces, I can sort the actual fretboard cutting myself.

Definitely not going the sticker route! Yuk!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Obviously there are different types of lasers for cutting different things.

Pearl is generally problematic  as the laser can bounce around inside it and turns it to dust.  Best case is a rough edge, worse is no pearl remains.   A friend did some for me years ago as a trial and we destroyed about £50 worth of paua shell before calling it a day. 

It is possible on very thin pearl.  I think some types of lasers may even do reasonable results on thicker stuff but not sure which you would need for that

Plastic MOP can be done though I think... although I don't think I will try it with my diode laser as it  won't be best suited for that, 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    WezV said:
    Obviously there are different types of lasers for cutting different things.

Pearl is generally problematic  as the laser can bounce around inside it and turns it to dust.  Best case is a rough edge, worse is no pearl remains.   A friend did some for me years ago as a trial and we destroyed about £50 worth of paua shell before calling it a day. 

It is possible on very thin pearl.  I think some types of lasers may even do reasonable results on thicker stuff but not sure which you would need for that

Plastic MOP can be done though I think... although I don't think I will try it with my diode laser as it  won't be best suited for that, 
    Thanks, useful info. I'd be fine with plastic MoP stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited May 2023
    I did design this for my diode the other week, it will either be engraved into a maple board, or i can cut the numerals out of thin wood and inlay, or enrave it deep enough that a coloured filler can be used in the numbers

25" scale, 24 frets, faux double binding and roman numeral markers

pcture.PNG 19.5K
    if you do want pearl, there is a guy in Newcastle who does them on a CNC I think.  Ben somebody???

He does them for many of the other UK builders who have their name in Pearl on the headstock.  @Danielsguitars @IvisonGuitars ; - is it the guy you use?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3097
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    if you do want pearl, there is a guy in Newcastle who does them on a CNC I think.  Ben somebody???

He does them for many of the other UK builders who have their name in Pearl on the headstock.  @Danielsguitars @IvisonGuitars ; - is it the guy you use?
    Yes Ben Cochrane, nice guy.
    He's just done me trap inlays and vintage size blocks for the custom.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    WezV said:

Do you have contact details? It's still only a maybe in terms of doing this, but it would be useful to know. Ta
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3097
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    WezV said:

Do you have contact details? It's still only a maybe in terms of doing this, but it would be useful to know. Ta
    https://www.facebook.com/ben.cochrane.19788
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 263
    edited May 2023
    A s an alternative you could use contrasting wood, here are Maple markers on a Wenge board that I made years ago

https://i.imgur.com/X1qGbz7.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited May 2023
    @Jaycee that works, but what I'm really after is @WezV 's example - small and neat!

@Danielsguitars  Thanks

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I did some by cncing the pocket, then filling it with resin with mica in it. Not much like pearl, but a nice look. Sadly every inlay was one fret out... 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    I did some by cncing the pocket, then filling it with resin with mica in it. Not much like pearl, but a nice look. Sadly every inlay was one fret out... 
    Ouch!
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    WezV said:
    I did design this for my diode the other week, it will either be engraved into a maple board, or i can cut the numerals out of thin wood and inlay, or enrave it deep enough that a coloured filler can be used in the numbers

25" scale, 24 frets, faux double binding and roman numeral markers

That’s really cool, I like this a lot. Very classy. 
    The best inlays ever would be the heartbeat on the Ibanez  Anita Strauss Jiva sig

edited May 2023
    BlueStrat said:
    The best inlays ever would be the heartbeat on the Ibanez  Anita Strauss Jiva sig

Not seen that before so I looked it up. Pretty cool, not my fave inlays but they do look good. Cool guitar overall.

'Nita' Strauss of course ...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I think I've got a pearl-putting bit for my CNC actually. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2517
    tFB Trader
    I got Rothko and Frost to do the ones for my latest build. Strangely enough the guy I dealt with was called Ben. I wonder if R&F sub contact out to him?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter