Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Jimi Hendrix's "The Wind Cries Mary" - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Jimi Hendrix's "The Wind Cries Mary"

JasOJasO Frets: 93
While researching Jimi Hendrix's life in 1966-1967 for my book Stone Free: Jimi Hendrix in London, I was astounded to learn that Jimi conceived, composed, and recorded "The Wind Cries Mary" in less than 24 hours. As detailed in an article I've just posted in the online Talking Guitar magazine, Jimi's poetical lyrics were inspired by an argument he'd just had with his girlfriend. The next day the Experience spent four hours in De Lane Lea studio in what would prove to be one of their most productive sessions. They began with several takes of "Purple Haze," moved on to "51st Anniversary," recut the basic track of "Third Stone From the Sun," and did seven takes of "Fire." Then, with just 20 minutes remaining, Jimi taught Mitch and Noel the changes for his just-composed "The Wind Cries Mary." As Jimi explained, they cut the final version “in about two takes. I explained to Mitch and Noel what I had in mind, and we played it halfway through so Chas could get the balance. Then we played it through once. Six minutes later the song was ready to be mastered and pressed." The article includes additional insights from Jimi, Kathy Etchingham, Chas Chandler, Mitch Mitchell, and others. It's available for free, and you can access it here:

Jimi Hendrix: "The Wind Cries Mary"

#jimihendrix #thewindcriesmary #chaschandler
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2198
    Genius, was our Jimi!

Did you also know... Kathy's niece Julie, reads the news on ITV  B)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter