Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Strat/Tele with f-hole question ... - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Strat/Tele with f-hole question ...

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
So .... I'm planning on making a strat after being inspired by the video below. Gorgeous tone and playing!

When I say strat, it's not really, as I'm going for the two P90s and the f-hole as per the guitar in the video.

This is my question - what sort of chamber does one have under the f-hole with guitars like these? He refers to it as semi-hollow, so it must be some size cutout, and he also mentions that there is no top carve due to the hollow bit. 

Anyone know? Seen any plans? I'm going to rout the body then put a cap of some sort on top.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    You could have a forearm contour. Chamber and, then, cap the body from the back, like a Telecaster Thinline. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Warmoth offer a thinline strat body, it has the forearm contour and a belly cut. I believe they steam bend the lam top for the top contour
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited May 2023
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    edited May 2023
    This is how I approached it, with a contour front and back, albeit smaller than a regular Strat

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/102120/strat-body-with-a-close-eye-on-weight/p1

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Found a better Warmoth video on their process 

https://youtu.be/ApY0dRCVTnk
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    it's also worth deciding where you want the F-hole.  some strats have it quite far back, ruling out a forearm contour
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2273
    edited May 2023 tFB Trader
    I've made several fully chambered Strat bodies with F holes, my chambering is very similar to @WezV, I'm sure I done the build diary on the photo below. The F hole does go down into the arm contour.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2493
    And here is that very body today:

It's very lovely!

(Not so the face reflected in the pickup, which looks a bit like a Sontaran, or Darth Vader with the helmet off out of Return of the Jedi.)

So nice, in fact, that I asked Graham to do a similar thinline-plus-contours tele.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Thanks all, I know where I'm going now!

Anyone know the best place to buy a cheap 2mm/3mm cap? I'm spraying the guitar so nothing fancy required.