Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What pickup could I put in this little piece of sh.. - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What pickup could I put in this little piece of sh..

What's Hot
For slide. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    Not sure of many pickups available for 5 string guitars lol

Aynsley Lister had a P90 installed on his old semi acoustic 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjU9qkCMRvF/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 164
    Seymour Duncan Invader. 

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    Charlie Christian?  You can get some that mount on the end of the neck 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    edited May 2023
    If you play with OD then a humbucker at the bridge sounds best IMO. But, a dog ear P90 will look right and can be shimmed up suitably. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2198
    Forgot to say.. Something cheap, dirty and bluesy to match the guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Neilybob said:
    Not sure of many pickups available for 5 string guitars lol

Aynsley Lister had a P90 installed on his old semi acoustic 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjU9qkCMRvF/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
     A lol and a wow there! Wonder how that is held in?
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 456
    Axerus do a nifty-looking worn copper HB cover, maybe fit something into that?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Are you planning to cut a hole in it? If not there's only fairly limited clearance between the strings and the top, which will restrict things. If you are, beware that the top braces might be fairly closely spaced, and a pickup hole might conflict with them. Don't cut through them :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ICBM said:
    Are you planning to cut a hole in it? If not there's only fairly limited clearance between the strings and the top, which will restrict things. If you are, beware that the top braces might be fairly closely spaced, and a pickup hole might conflict with them. Don't cut through them :).
    Not sure yet, but I'll keep a close eye on it :)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited May 2023
    Dogear P90 or one of those little Jazz pickups with a fingerboard bracket.

FWIIW, I have a NOS Seymour Duncan Johnny Smith pickup but it is probably worth several times more than the POsh..

Based on a friend's early Sixties ES125, one P90 near the neck should suffice.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Kent Armstrong floating
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    ICBM said:
    Not sure yet, but I'll keep a close eye on it :)
    Maybe something like this with a 10mm height would work by mounting it to the body. 

Or ping Marc at Mojo pickups and see what he suggests? 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    Something surface mounted - not sure if a Ric Toaster would fit?
    Got to be something less than the guitar. Don't see the point of putting £100 pup in a cheap guitar
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2493
    edited May 2023
    Perhaps someone has one of those foil-type pickups from a 1960s Woolworths guitar - measuring it, it's about 9mm deep, and you could probably jerry-rig some kind of mount. I have one, but I'm holding on to it in case exactly this sort of thing arises in my life. 

Probably sound terrible, but in an authentic way. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1239
    CH Guitars do a cheap neck-mount humbucker (although currently showing 'out of stock')

edited May 2023
    Alegree does one under £30 so I think I'll go down that route. Should be quite a fun (and cheap) mini project!
  • I've an old Dimarzio Super Distortion that came out of my 82 Westbury Standard.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
    edited May 2023
    I've an old Dimarzio Super Distortion that came out of my 82 Westbury Standard.
    PM me if you want to sell it @Crazed_Fandango ;

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    Dog ear P90 ?
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2777
    tFB Trader
    See the neck pickup here, was about £12 of your Earth Pounds - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/203915/ngd-quick-resurrection

It was microphonic as hell so opened it up and tamped it down with sealant, much better. It really does sounds good..
    Thin skinny thing, it looks like it should mount up OK without digging.

Where did you get the pickup from Bill?
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2777
    tFB Trader
    I think it was fleabay James, there was tons at the time. There's a few now from sellers with shit feedback for ~£10, and this one with good feedback - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385615267385
    Reckon I'll get one myself just because..