Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Maiden snubbed again by RnR Hall Of Fame... Ridiculous - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Maiden snubbed again by RnR Hall Of Fame... Ridiculous

What's Hot
BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
edited May 2023 in Music
Quite surprised at this, thought they were a shoe in to be honest.....

Crazy all things considered, one of the greatest heavy metal bands of all time overlooked for some odd choices.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/iron-maiden-rock-roll-hall-fame-1234727881/

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    Fer chrissake! Who needs the HoF anyway?

I owe them so much...if I ever get an answer correct on Universally Challenged, it's down to a Maiden lyric ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5511
    I can't think of a more pointless institution than the 'Rock & Roll Hall of Fame'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I'm not sure what the voting process is... is it a public vote, or is there an "academy" of voters like the Oscars?  I realise you have to get shortlisted in the first place, and the shortlist is often controversial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    Philly_Q said:
    I'm not sure what the voting process is... is it a public vote, or is there an "academy" of voters like the Oscars?  I realise you have to get shortlisted in the first place, and the shortlist is often controversial.
    I think it's an academy style thing, it's not down to the public anyway, apparently metal often gets overlooked anyway.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    My view of Iron Maiden has changed considerably over the years.  I always considered them cartoon rock; there was something SOOO Spinal Tap about them I could just never take them seriously.   Over that past 4-5 years however I've learned that you get to appreciate them more if you don't take them too seriously.  Would I buy an album?  Probably not.  Would I go and see them?  These days, definitely yes.  I may not love them but I admire they're still doing what they do, and they're very good at it.  Should they be in the HoF?  Absolutely - longevity and record sales should have meant they were in years ago - not that I'm sure it really means that much.

Bruce also comes over as a pretty sound guy too, which goes a long way.
    I know Judas Priest got in last year, but in the "Musical Excellence" category which seems to have a slightly lower standing than the main "Performers" category.  It's a bit like having an MBE rather than an OBE, I think.  I don't really understand it.
    Offset said:
    My view of Iron Maiden has changed considerably over the years.  I always considered them cartoon rock; there was something SOOO Spinal Tap about them I could just never take them seriously.   Over that past 4-5 years however I've learned that you get to appreciate them more if you don't take them too seriously.  Would I buy an album?  Probably not.  Would I go and see them?  These days, definitely yes.  I may not love them but I admire they're still doing what they do, and they're very good at it.  Should they be in the HoF?  Absolutely - longevity and record sales should have meant they were in years ago - not that I'm sure it really means that much.

I got into them relatively late.  I'd bought a lot of the singles in the early days, but for some reason the only album I had was Powerslave.... until Bruce and Adrian rejoined in 2000 and Brave New World came out.  I absolutely love that album.  After that I went back and bought everything. 

I'm still not the biggest fan of Bruce's singing or the vocal melodies, my favourite thing about Maiden is the anthemic guitar parts, I don't think anyone else compares with them in that respect.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:

I got into them relatively late.  I'd bought a lot of the singles in the early days, but for some reason the only album I had was Powerslave.... until Bruce and Adrian rejoined in 2000 and Brave New World came out.  I absolutely love that album.  After that I went back and bought everything. 

I'm still not the biggest fan of Bruce's singing or the vocal melodies, my favourite thing about Maiden is the anthemic guitar parts, I don't think anyone else compares with them in that respect.
    I'm a fairly late admirer of (not covert to) to Priest :-)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Rush Alex Lifeson GIF - Rush Alex Lifeson Blah Blah Blah

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Like Rolling Stone magazine the HoF has greatly exaggerated ideas of its importance.

It's no wonder their views on music are so, er, eclectic. It must be difficult to hear properly when your head is rammed so far up your own arse. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    I’d have thought that Thin Lizzy were ahead in the queue
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    That place is a crock of sh*te, I hate it with a passion. Burn the place down and set up a proper one.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6075
    ‘Self-appointed judges judge.’

Literally the only difference between you and me writing down a list of our favourite bands on the back of a beermat over a pint and the RandR HoF is that they spend more money on announcing their findings. Their opinion means absolutely nothing whatsoever.

Maiden will lose no sleep over this. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    scrumhalf said:
    Like Rolling Stone magazine the HoF has greatly exaggerated ideas of its importance.

It's no wonder their views on music are so, er, eclectic. It must be difficult to hear properly when your head is rammed so far up your own arse. 
    Hey, wind your neck in  ;)

The 20 Best and Worst Albums By Actors - Paste
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guyinlyonguyinlyon Frets: 202
    Maybe they're just not that good.
    guyinlyon said:
    Of course they're not.... 

• theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 961
    edited May 2023
    Like other people have said, it’s a little meaningless. For example, it’s a bit late for George Michael to receive the prestige and honour of being inducted. Still, am happy for Kate Bush. Nothing to do with the popularity of her song in Stranger Things, I’m sure. 
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5511
    Imagine selling over 100 million records and some self-appointed 'guardians of rock' don't think you're good enough for their club!
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    "The continued rejections, after nearly two decades of eligibility, are emblematic of continued negativity toward heavy metal by the gatekeepers of musical taste."

Well, there you go.  Utter bollocks.

Meanwhile, Maiden will continue to play packed-out stadiums and headlining festival slots, and continue not to give a toss.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    guyinlyon said:
    Clearly not a requirement ....
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3115
    I do love the boomer outrage EVERY May over the RNR HOF. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Gen X mate, not a boomer, the best gen too! YMMV but you'd be wrong ;)

Since no-one's eligible for the Hall of Fame until 25 years after their first recording, there's not likely to be much Millennial or Gen Z outrage.  They'll all be getting outraged in another couple of decades.... if the HOF (and indeed popular music) is still a thing by then.
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    It's meaningless anyway. I expect Maiden won't be crying too hard into the drinks they're being served whilst flying to another stadium gig on their private 747.

Music is music, it doesn't become any more or less important if half a dozen people decide they like it or not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    edited May 2023
    This lot? Not exactly cutting-edge even given that 25 year requirement:

Kate Bush
    Sheryl Crow
    Missy Elliott
    George Michael
    Willie Nelson
    Rage Against the Machine
    The Spinners

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    I know the RnRHoF exists in some way and people get inducted. That's it. That's my entire knowledge base, in 40 years of having an interest in rock/pop that's as much as it has impacted on me. 
    Had to look it up but I am a Boomer apparently, MrsTheWeary is Gen X. I haven't checked with her but I'm fairly sure neither of us is outraged. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    The Spinners must be relieved to finally get in, they've been going around for about 100 years.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3115
    Boromedic said:
    Gen X mate, not a boomer, the best gen too! YMMV but you'd be wrong ;)
    It wasnt really a dig at you, but every year at same thing, same complaints. Theres pop, and theres rock n roll. Everyone whos on that list is rock n roll in some way, and made a difference.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    Ah, the Hall of Fame. It’s true bypass. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Not a huge fan personally, but they clearly deserve a place in a rock and roll "hall of fame".
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...