Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Advice on Selling CDs? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Advice on Selling CDs?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    @TTony good idea. Though, the only downside I can see with this is that someone will eventually end up with Ellie Goulding’s back catalogue …
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    beed84 said:
    @TTony good idea. Though, the only downside I can see with this is that someone will eventually end up with Ellie Goulding’s back catalogue …
    Damn. That's my plan foiled.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    edited May 2023
    I just got rid of all the boxes  and put the disks in one of those zip up sleeve book/bag things. It holds quite a lot and is much more compact. Easy to flick through as well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I hope that a cd revival does occur.

I still buy new release on CD.

The way I justify this expensive habit is my car (despite not being that old per-se) only has a CD player! Well... technically it does have an AUX-in but since Apple removed the all-important headphone jack, I don't want to spend money on a fancy adapter that allows you to charge and convert a signal from Lightning to 3.5mm AUX-in cable... yet I am willing to spend money for compact discs, even though I would probably say i listen to Apple Music more than CDs. The thing with CDs and other physical formats though, is the tactile experience. The cases, the inserts and spines... you don't get that from a download!

I also want to support the artist who makes a larger percentage profit margin off the CD sale direct from their online store rather than the 0.0000001 pennies they may get from a stream or two here and there. 

Then again there are plenty of artists who don't have their work available on the streaming services! A prime example is a lot of the middle of Saxon's catalog is missing... there is some early stuff and the brand new stuff but there's a big chunk up to The Inner Sanctum that has gone missing. There, the CD saves my day. 

I can absolutely see the value in the CD. But I can concede it's also circumstantial. Conversely, it's also more convenient than vinyl. If anyone has a turntable in their car, please talk to me. I need to know what you did and more importantly what is wrong with you!! The portability and audio quality is definitely a big selling point for me in the CD! No matter how great that splattered 12" looks...

I do participate in some local trade groups on Facebook occasionally. That's been fun. And buy/swap/sell groups for cd specifically and general groups as well, may be worth a look!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited May 2023
    I’ve looked out the boxes of CDs but I can’t get into Imgur to post the pics. It says I don’t have access to my own mobile number so won’t let me login.

Is there another way to post photos?

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    I hope that a cd revival does occur.

I still buy new release on CD.
    It might, a few people on here are no doubt stockpiling just in case.

If it doesn't, you could always build a little fort when you get a new car.

When I got my last one I was genuinely surprised at the lack of CD player, but I've never missed it.  One you discover Android Auto or Apple Carplay...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • horsehorse Frets: 1502
    I think the revival is started. Used and new prices are up compared to the good old cheap days.

If there's any 80s Ozzy or Maiden going I'll be interested!
    Ok… let’s try this.

I think these need to go in the for sale section. So I’ll do that and come back here with a link.

Andy
    Link to the thread I’ve put in Misc For Sale.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/247352/cds-for-sale-offers

Please don’t judge me by CD collection. :)

I can’t get the embedding to work. I’ve always struggled with listing photos on this site for some reason. Sorry.

No Ozzy or Maiden, I’m afraid.

Cheers,

Andy
  • thingthing Frets: 469
    I did read an article the other day that a record reseller bought a house where a hoarder had stored 250,000 vinyl records, liquidated the hoard then (presumably after repairing the structural damage) sold the house...

Extreme hoarders... compact discs... when it comes and if it's a fretboarder then I'll watch...

I watched the show once, where the guy clearly needed help with his mental health, owned four houses in a village all full of crap and lived a miserable life eating beans cooked on a camping stove in a room full of dry paper, so waiting to be immolated basically.  I felt incredibly sorry for him and it was all very sad, so never watched again.

Apparently one person hoarded and ate their own poop, so they at least did one to make anyone with forty years worth of magazines feel a bit normal...

I make plastic model kits for shows and stuff. The pres of our model club died a couple of years ago and his wife asked if we could dispose of the unmade models he had in the garage. He had over three and a half thousand (if you bought them new around 90-100K's worth) and a sign up saying 'He who dies with the most models wins.'

This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    thing said:
    I did read an article the other day that a record reseller bought a house where a hoarder had stored 250,000 vinyl records, liquidated the hoard then (presumably after repairing the structural damage) sold the house...

Extreme hoarders... compact discs... when it comes and if it's a fretboarder then I'll watch...

I watched the show once, where the guy clearly needed help with his mental health, owned four houses in a village all full of crap and lived a miserable life eating beans cooked on a camping stove in a room full of dry paper, so waiting to be immolated basically.  I felt incredibly sorry for him and it was all very sad, so never watched again.

Apparently one person hoarded and ate their own poop, so they at least did one to make anyone with forty years worth of magazines feel a bit normal...

I make plastic model kits for shows and stuff. The pres of our model club died a couple of years ago and his wife asked if we could dispose of the unmade models he had in the garage. He had over three and a half thousand (if you bought them new around 90-100K's worth) and a sign up saying 'He who dies with the most models wins.'

Definitely earns a "wow".

A hobby where it's very easy to buy at a rate where you will never stand even half a chance of building them all.

I used to build a lot of Airfix as a kid, I miss the feeling of the kits coming together, particularly the bigger aircraft, built a Lancaster, B-17 etc.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    A hobby where it's very easy to buy at a rate where you will never stand even half a chance of building them all.

A bit like me and my Blu-ray collection...
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    thing said:

My bro used to make lots of Airfix kits when we were kids. He did a great job on painting them and adding 'extras' as well. Anyway, there was this one time he decided it was time to dump a pile of the older ones as he just had too many around. He put them in this big paper sack and we drove up to the local tip with my dad. This was in the 70s, so no tidy tip, it was literally big 'hills' of junk, you just turned up and threw your stuff somewhere!

Back in those days, many 'poor' kids and teens would be clambering around scavenging stuff. My bro emptied his sack and a bunch of kids descended. It was so satisfying as we drove off seeing the kids all grabbing handfuls of models, running around flying the planes etc. I think it was a bit like Christmas for them!