Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Solo of the Month (SotM) #94 - Challenge - Making Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Solo of the Month (SotM) #94 - Challenge

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
edited May 2023 in Making Music
This is the 94th solo of the Month (SotM) Challenge.

The challenge is now open and ends at midnight 24th May 2023

Discussion:
Following on from last month's hair metal, here's another backing track track from flying_pie, with a different (punchy 60s garage rock) flavour. Given the current Ed Sheeran lawsuit, dare I say that it has a somewhat familiar flavour

You can download the backing track from Soundcloud below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sotm94-flying-pie-sonic-travel?si=b662f8a4fa554cb5b057917ba5b843a0&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Title: Sonic Travel

Tempo: 135 bpm

Structure/Chords:

B E / F#m E / x 4
F# / E /
B E / F#m E /
B

Record your solo over the top of it and then submit it (ideally in mp3 format) to solos@theFB.co.uk
Also, feel free to comment on how you approached the solo, which will add a bit more interest and maybe we can learn something from each other.

There should be headroom to record your solo. Try to set a level without excessive master limiting, because we want to avoid loudness wars.

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends.

No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them below to hopefully promote some discussion on approaches used for the solo:
It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    Mine's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    Sent one in!
    Sent one in!
    It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    Sent one in
    Sent one in
    It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    Sent one in

Then sent another one in.... :grimace: 

My proper one is a different style for me.  V clean and focused on the melody.

Then I thought to myself, hmm, what would the "real me" play and out popped a totally different version, normal service is restored :lol: 

Anyway, feel free to ignore one if they  both get posted :sweat_smile: 

@flying_pie the backing track was so pro mixed it sounded like a Hollywood movie backing track.  Excellent skills there :+1: wish I cld get mine like that.
    Sent one in

And they're both in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
    Sent one in

And lo, a dangerous precedent was set ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sent one in

Indeed.

Another second entry has been sent. Clearly this is tongue firmly in cheek but I couldn't resist it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sent one in

Indeed.

Another second entry has been sent. Clearly this is tongue firmly in cheek but I couldn't resist it

And the flood gates have opened :) Your second entry is in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
    Small mercy that this is a sub-30 second backing!
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1565
    Oh god - this is going to be carnage - I'm currently formulating an obnoxious fuzz using the GEQ to make it especially horrid :)
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62, Vanguard.

Please drop me a message.
    Perhaps we should have special points for comedic effect :)  Now where's my kazoo?

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Perhaps we should have special points for comedic effect :)

Depends. To use a totally random example, playing the start of the second solo from Comfortably Numb with a different rhythm should not be rewarded. But I'd definitely give comedy points a nice panpipe or accordion solo (although that's an oxymoron)

Now I'm thinking that for this month 3 solos is the magic number.....
    edited May 2023
    Perhaps we should have special points for comedic effect

Depends. To use a totally random example, playing the start of the second solo from Comfortably Numb with a different rhythm should not be rewarded. But I'd definitely give comedy points a nice panpipe or accordion solo (although that's an oxymoron)

Careful what you wish for. My SotM entry on panpipes. It was actually the sound that was supposed to be a breathy flute on my Composition challenge entry, but being as everyone seemed to think it sounded like pan pipes. 

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sotm94-stratman3142-panning-around?si=e001ac636339428ab0f5ef663160fc6a&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

It's not a competition.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Nice...did you convert your audio to M1D1 for that?
    Yes I used Melodyne 5.

It's not a competition.
    Yes I used Melodyne 5.

Worked pretty well!
    Perhaps we should have special points for comedic effect

Careful what you wish for. My SotM entry on panpipes. It was actually the sound that was supposed to be a breathy flute on my Composition challenge entry, but being as everyone seemed to think it sounded like pan pipes. 

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sotm94-stratman3142-panning-around?si=e001ac636339428ab0f5ef663160fc6a&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

That is amazing sounds perfect for pan pipes :+1: 
  • DigitalDaveDigitalDave Frets: 16
    enjoying the entries so far  - @stratman3142 those Jethro Tull vibes are hilarious.  Have to say I'm stumped on this one so far, after a few attempts on different occasions i can't get anything to 'work' - does any one else ever get this ? and what is your solution? :)
    enjoying the entries so far  - @stratman3142 those Jethro Tull vibes are hilarious.  Have to say I'm stumped on this one so far, after a few attempts on different occasions i can't get anything to 'work' - does any one else ever get this ? and what is your solution? :)
    I just set it to loop and play randomly over it a 100 times until I suddenly stumble on a hook that I like and then work on that .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    enjoying the entries so far  - @stratman3142 those Jethro Tull vibes are hilarious...
    Just to clarify. That wasn't intended as an entry :) Although I'm wondering whether to add it now, as it might do better than the original guitar version.

It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I phone in sick that month ;)
    ... Have to say I'm stumped on this one so far, after a few attempts on different occasions i can't get anything to 'work' - does any one else ever get this ? and what is your solution? :)
    I'm not sure you should take advice from me, because I rarely win and maybe my quality control isn't as fussy as yours.

Sometimes the ideas flow and sometimes it's a case of finding a phrase, then coming back to it and building on it piece by piece over a period of days. Sometimes I scrap what I came up with and start again. I find I need to put something down to get past the blank sheet of paper problem.

It's not a competition.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    I phone in sick that month ;)
    I've been doing this for many months ;) I basically do what Baz says but without the hooks part. Random bollocks basically.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

One thing I did different this month was choose a tone I never normally use, that forces me to play differently and thus helps with creativity.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    Could you guys possibly read my thread in "Studio and Recording", please. I was gonna sit down and record something today but the demons of technology decided to shit all over my plans. Thanks.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    Sent one in.

I used my older Laptop for this. I think my other one's problem is that it's just not seeing the KA6, but I'll have to investigate further.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    Sent one in.

It's in the playlist, Hope you get you interface sorted.

It's not a competition.
    Sent one in.

It's in the playlist, Hope you get you interface sorted.

Sorted now, thanks to your link  :) Thread updated.