Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New record from The National - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New record from The National

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
"First Two Pages of Frankenstein". I wasn't super into it on first listen but it's growing rapidly after 3 or 4 more goes around. 

Anyone else listening? 

We have tickets to see them in Redmond, Seattle in June. I CANNOT WAIT!!! 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    Have loved The National since I first heard the Cherry Tree Ep back in the early 2000s and they are a favourite live. However, I have found with the last few albums that something has been missing (for me). It isn’t a bad album that said and I am persevering, but they’ve done better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Yes, haven’t had a chance to give it a proper listen but I suspect it’s one of those albums that will grow on me. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    drofluf said:
    Yes, haven’t had a chance to give it a proper listen but I suspect it’s one of those albums that will grow on me. 
    Every one of theirs has been so far. I don't think they'll ever quite match the run from Boxer to Sleep Well Beast but I'm happy they're still trying
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Any Taylor Swift goodness on it?
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 742
    Yeah, last few albums have been forgettable for me. Gave this one a quick listen and wasn't convinced.
    Any Taylor Swift goodness on it?
    Yes, she’s on at least one track 
    @monquixote 2 with Swift, 2 with Bridget’s I think. 1 with Sufjan. 

@oh_pollo you didn’t like SWB?! 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader

@oh_pollo you didn’t like SWB?! 

Spotify only lists her as on one song, 2 with PB and one with Sufjan
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 742
    @stickyfiddle both 'Sleep Well Beast' and 'I Am Easy To Find' were both albums where I was initially very enthusiastic but then looking back realise that although there are a couple of strong individual tracks the albums are pretty anonymous.
    oh_pollo said:
    @stickyfiddle both 'Sleep Well Beast' and 'I Am Easy To Find' were both albums where I was initially very enthusiastic but then looking back realise that although there are a couple of strong individual tracks the albums are pretty anonymous.
    That is pretty much how I feel, particularly when considered in comparison to High Violet and Trouble Will Find Me which are both incredible albums.

Spotify only lists her as on one song, 2 with PB and one with Sufjan
    I thought I noticed her BVs on a second one but maybe not. Will listen more actively next time!
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    I got the vinyl on release day but have yet to listen to it. Was great watching them explode from Alligator on for me, saw them on Jools Holland doing Lit Up and Secret Meeting and immediately loved them.

The run from Alligator to Trouble Will Find Me (probably their best for me although that's like saying Revolver is better than Rubber Soul :) ) is insane. Seeing them live in Birmingham on the Boxer tour was a highlight, such an insanely good live band to watch. 

Sleep Well Beast was a departure that lacks something for me, and I'm Easy To Find worked as a film but as a full National album was not so great. More a side project, I'll refrain from judging again until I've actually listened to the new one. I'm hoping the album is better than New Order T-shirt which was a bit of a B side for me. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

Can't comment on the new one as it needs more listens....

However as a side note, I picked up the Trouble Will Find Me vinyl the other day and I've got it on now. What a record this is, perfect from start to finish, sounds amazing on vinyl. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I’m seeing them in 2 days! If the jet lag doesn’t kill me…!

Still only averagely-whelmed by the new record, but will see how it goes live. 
    Funnily enough, the latest album is really growing on me. I’ve also revisited the last few albums too and have hugely enjoyed Sleep Well Beast. I’d say I’m currently having a bit of a re-fall-in-love with these latter National works. Maybe it’s time and place. I find Wilco albums a bit like that and then they glue in and I’m there -often seeing them live has helped, so hopefully this will have the same effect for you. Enjoy the gig. :+1:  

It’s one that’s grown on me slowly so worth persevering with it. Enjoy them live

Have you seen them live before Mike? Such a great band on stage, amazing dynamics and simply awe inspiring. I'll keep trying the new one too :)

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    Always wanted to like the National but just too one dimensional for me.

Still this version of Bloodbuzz Ohio from my neck of the woods is still a classic

Boromedic said:

Have you seen them live before Mike? Such a great band on stage, amazing dynamics and simply awe inspiring. I'll keep trying the new one too :)
    I hadn't! They did not disappoint. I wasn't quite in the mood at the time but that didn't last long. Utterly fantastic, the new stuff sat nicely in the set - New Order T Shirt, Eucalyptus and Tropic Morning News were the new highlights and miles better live than on record. 

Last 4 songs were Mr. November, Terrible Love, About Today & Vanderlyle, which is literally perfection. Very happy.

Also, US low-thousands-capacity amphitheatres are such phenomenal venues. Super chilled, lovely weather, and just the absolute perfect vibe. We got in about halfway through the support set and were in a comfortable place very easily - could've made it quite close to the front without too much effort. We were only slightly earlier for Death Cab a couple of weeks later and were on the barrier. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Awesome, glad you enjoyed it, they're so great live I knew you would. 

edited July 2023
    Yeah, absolute magic. I’d love to see them again, especially in that sort of venue

I should maybe do a bit of a trip report thread - we saw & did so much great stuff over 3 weeks 
    Yeah mate you should!

The two times I'd seen them previously were also small venues, Carling Academy in Birmingham and Warwick Arts Centre, you're definitely right to say they're best in those venues.