Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). which budget modeller? - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

which budget modeller?

What's Hot
ZonularZonular Frets: 61
edited May 2023 in Digital & Modelling
I'm in the market for a replacement of my old zoom g10n as a dead simple headphone amp.
Recently I used apps on an iPad, which are good, but the extra dongles are annoying.
im looking for something preferably under 200 quid

between the likes of the nux mighty plug pro, their mg300, or something from valeton, what would you suggest?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• rhinofeetrhinofeet Frets: 75
    Headrush mx5 come up on eBay for about 250. It is a step in quality above nux and valeting in my opinion
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    The Mighty Plug is great and very cheap. The fact that the controls are on your phone means that you can a ‘Class A30’ amp with a ‘tone cut’ knob, very much like the real thing. I am not sure how accurate the emulations are, but most sound Ok through headphones.
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    The Nux stuff is excellent!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Plus one for nux, I have the mighty plug and it's so so good. 
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 61
    For the mighty plug users, any reason to go for the pro and any reason why you went with it Vs the fender Mustang micro
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    If you decide you want to try one, I'm selling a V1 mighty plug. Its a very handy piece of kit. 
    Zonular said:
    For the mighty plug users, any reason to go for the pro and any reason why you went with it Vs the fender Mustang micro
    I don’t have the pro and I don’t think I need one. Regarding not getting the Mustang: price and word of mouth. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    I was super impressed with the MG300 , boss GT1 is great if you want to go portable as it takes AA batteries 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Zonular said:
    My mighty plug pro had an awful ringing noise coming from the headphone amp stage. I think it's a design flaw. Sent it back. Shame because I liked it otherwise. Got a £30 jobby from Amazon now which is also noisy but fine for the price
    I wouldn't be able to deal with that, little noises drive me mental. Might look at picking up a mg300 sh
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    edited May 2023
    Zonular said:
    IR loading, onboard volume control and the JCM800 model are worth it over the old version and the Mustang imo. The built in NUX IRs are fine but I definitely prefer mine with my York Audio IRs - I use the Creamback for lower gain and Marshall Vintage or Bogner 412 for higher gain. With the Mustang I thought all the clean tones on demos sound pretty good but anything more than a crunch sounded crap.

The Mighty Plug is a bit noisy but I don't think I have that ringing noise. It's controllable with the gate on mine. Overall it's been one of the best bits of gear I've bought - means I can plug it in at the end of my pedalboard (or straight in the guitar) and not have to faff with getting the laptop and interface out when I want to play. And I honestly think the JCM800 model is better than any of the Marshall models in the Helix.
    edited May 2023
    Sold! Tbh my pedal board has always been tuner (wah optional) overdrive, fuzz/distortion (interchangeable) amp. So a great sounding amp is all I need with some reverb!
    How's the latency when jamming along with tracks?
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1726
    I've been eyeing up a new multifx/modeller. Mostly looking in £200 to £250 range, so a bit more than your budget, but if you are thinking of going 2nd hand they could be. Currently, the nux mg-30 is on top. The Hotone ampero one is pretty close. Nux do an mg-400, which is an update on the mg-300. My interest in a new unit was an advert for zoom's new G2x Four. But the reviews for them are not good. Boss GT1 looks OK. Admittedly, I've not got hands on with any of them, but I've scoured the web for reviews etc. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    Zonular said:
    How's the latency when jamming along with tracks?
    No latency as far as I can tell? 

Great stuff!.

@sesh, I've always liked the zoom stuff, used a g3n for years as a headphone amp. Always tempted by the likes of the helix etc but wonder how much difference will I notice given the fact I'm an AVG guitarist 
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1726
    Yeah, I was really disappointed with g2x. I have a zoom 3030 from yonks ago, which I still play amount with from time to time, but the technology has moved on somewhat since the 90s. I also have a zoom b6, a bass multifx that I've been using for guitar. It's pretty good, but I want something more guitar orientated. I looked at the g6, which looks ideal, but I don't think the increase in price from the mg-30/ampero one to the g6 is worth it, and to me both cheaper units surpass it in many areas.
    I am not much of a player. Whatever I get will be for bedroom noodling. A reasonable looper, easy switching of effects and a simple drum machine will keep me happy. Amp modelling is less important to me as mostly I'll be playing through a combo anyway. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.