Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). John Hullah - Made in the UK Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

John Hullah

My first ever 'good' acoustic was made by ex-Fylde luthier John Hullah back in 1988. I Bought the guitar in what used to be Barretts of Manchester and took it to Spain, where I was living at the time. After a year, I came back to the UK and had it set up personally by John, who was living in Preston, relatively close by my Parents' house. The guitar was a lovely 000 cutaway in cedar and mahogany and became my main guitar for many years.

Does anyone else have a Hullah guitar? If not, has anyone else heard of him or know where he is now? I imagine he must be retired.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 417
    A band-mate and good friend had 2 John Hullah Bouzoukis, one acoustic with slightly bowled back and one electric. Both very comfortable to play from memory.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    JCA2550 said:
    A band-mate and good friend had 2 John Hullah Bouzoukis, one acoustic with slightly bowled back and one electric. Both very comfortable to play from memory.
    Now that you mention it, I have a memory that Hullah made a name for himself more from other stringed instruments than for guitars. I may be wrong on that - it's a very distant bell that rang there!
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 665
    I'm pretty sure someone was selling one of his guitars on here a while back. Never tried one, but if they are in any way similar to Fylde then I'm sure they're great. 
    I'm pretty sure someone was selling one of his guitars on here a while back. Never tried one, but if they are in any way similar to Fylde then I'm sure they're great. 
    Mine had a rich, woody timbre to it with a lot of punch in the mids. It really came into its own for me when I got into learning Joplin rags.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    I've owned a few of John's guitars - all excellent - and I visited his home where he made them a few times. He did EVERYTHING by hand, literally.

He ended up with a workshop/home in Anglesey. 

I think he went on to make high end HiFi speakers, as the boutique acoustic market was not as robust as it is now, maybe.

I think his great grandfather was a close friend of Charles Dickens !

Really lovely guitars. 
    I've owned a few of John's guitars - all excellent - and I visited his home where he made them a few times. 
    Was that the caravan? When I went to his place around 1989, his workshop was in a caravan next to his house.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1071
    Timcito said:

Does anyone else have a Hullah guitar? If not, has anyone else heard of him or know where he is now? I imagine he must be retired.
    I used to look longingly at the bouzoukis and mandolins that were sold through the Halshaw Music catalogue. 

I later owned a handmade bouzouki-type-thing that was very much in the Fylde style and someone suggested it was an early Hullah. Absolutely no evidence for that though, other than a high build quality and similar construction method & materials. 

The following discussion suggests that he packed in making instruments about 10 years ago but I don't know how reliable the posts are: 

https://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=152432