Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Instrumental playing ...backing ? - Live Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Instrumental playing ...backing ?

What's Hot
Jimbo55Jimbo55 Frets: 7
Hi all, I enjoy learning instrumental versions of songs and have done a few at open mikes - normally lead guitar lines and solos need a rhythm/bass/drums backing to sound at their best but I'm just wondering what basic effects for the single guitar could pad it out/thicken up the sound/enhance the one guitar rendition - hope this question makes sense, for example:
-a bit of delay or reverb
-some chorus
-some sustain
...even some octave effect ?????
I'm into rock/blues but main-line pop rock classics over the years too.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Certainly rock instrumentalists like Vai and Satriania and Bumblefoot and Andy Timmons use delay, often two delays. Obviously the trick is to get a ‘3 dimensional’ sound rather than sound like you are playing from the bottom of a well.
    If you wanted to throw money at it…

https://youtu.be/jSSfQ8Hswws
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jimbo55Jimbo55 Frets: 7
    Many thanks 'EricTheWeary' (like the name !)
    Not in the league of Vai or Sat sadly, but I guess I am not wanting to simply use a backing track but as you describe a '3D' sound does sound where I want to be - I will have a think about the halo pedal ....if it delivers it may be worth the outlay ! I will look at reviews on it - many thanks again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter