Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Billy Bragg - The Roaring Forty - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Billy Bragg - The Roaring Forty

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
edited April 2023 in Music
Looking forward to this, will be good to revisit Billy Bragg's catalogue

Does “Roaring 40” also refer to the early 80s old Roland Cube he used in the early days? As per the video below.

One of my favourite recordings has yet to see official release and I'm not sure it will be on this compilation either, ‘The Myth Of Trust’ from his 1983 Peel Session, by far the best version of that song. A real shame his Peel sessions album wasn't the complete Peel Sessions with this one included.

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/billy-bragg-the-roaring-forty-1983-2023/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6075
    edited April 2023
    Saw him about 9 or 10 years ago, in St Ives, Cornwall, where he did a solo show - a set of the Guthrie stuff then a set of his own material. As good as the music was, the storytelling between songs was just as enjoyable.

I’m far from a die-hard fan, so I am ignorant of a good chunk of his work, but when it’s good it’s very good.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    I sat next to him on a picnic bench in Cradley Heath in 2007. He was performing a set at the Chainmaker’s Festival and was hanging around with his entourage before going on. I saw very little of his set. 
    That’s it. That’s my Billy Bragg story. I don’t know if Billy has written an autobiography? Maybe it gets a mention. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    … the storytelling between songs …
    I saw BB at Hammersmith Odious, opening for David Gilmour on the 1984 About Face tour. Bragg's between songs banter included a throwaway remark about Syd Barrett. It got him thrown off the tour!
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    … the storytelling between songs …
    I saw BB at Hammersmith Odious, opening for David Gilmour on the 1984 About Face tour. Bragg's between songs banter included a throwaway remark about Syd Barrett. It got him thrown off the tour!
    Should have been tossed off. 
    The music industry is so cruel...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    I saw him back in the 70s. 
    However, I didn’t like being shouted at as to what my politics should be. 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    Isn't being shouted at about politics a major part of a Billy Bragg gig?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    I'm a big fan of Bragg's apart from the ill fated Ted Nugent collaboration.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3115
    As should every gig. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    As should every gig. 
    I don't think every gig should be like that. e.g. a Chemical Brothers gig! But going to a Billy Bragg gig, you kind of know what you are getting. Like the comments online you see: "Fuck you Pearl Jam / Rage Against The Machine, keep your politics out of your concerts!"
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680

As should every gig. 
    I don't think every gig should be like that. e.g. a Chemical Brothers gig! But going to a Billy Bragg gig, you kind of know what you are getting. Like the comments online you see: "Fuck you Pearl Jam / Rage Against The Machine, keep your politics out of your concerts!"

Well, I suppose it was at the time leading up to the miners strike. :-)