Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Modellers vs amps - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Modellers vs amps

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
edited April 2023 in Digital & Modelling
Discuss....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    I think the discussion has been done to death but for what it's worth I believe using an amp is an option and so is using some kind of direct to PA solution. What you choose depends on what kind of gig it is. Direct to PA works great in proper venues with decent PA's and  centre fills  .... doesn't work so well in a lot of pub gig situations. 

It also depends on what kind of sounds you go for, the style of music and  whether you use the amp as part of the instrument. 

Have to say I saw Steel panther in 2012 ish when the Ball's Out album came out, great guitar sound and christ he can play. No idea what he was using then but it sounded epic 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    Danny1969 said:

Have to say I saw Steel panther in 2012 ish when the Ball's Out album came out, great guitar sound and christ he can play. No idea what he was using then but it sounded epic 
    In the interview he said that he switched around 2015, so back in 2012 he'd have been old school.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    It's really quite simple, and has been backed up by science:

Modellers are for sickos and people who can't listen.

Amps are for regular people.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 822
    Cirrus said:

Modellers are also useful for people who are getting older and have a bad back, and are prepared to forego a little tone and feel at gigs for the sake of their long term health.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    relic245 said:
    Cirrus said:

Modellers are also useful for people who are getting older and have a bad back, and are prepared to forego a little tone and feel at gigs for the sake of their long term health.
    Or do what I do and stop being a wuss, man up, and get your missus to carry your gear in.
    :)
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    I saw Alice Cooper a few months ago and there are three guitarists in that band. I’d assumed it was modelling but it turned out,no, there were stacks of Marshalls backstage. But big band, big venue I struggle to believe that three Kempers (or whatever) couldn’t have done the same job from an audience perspective. The guitarists were only hearing themselves through monitors anyway so the value in having all those glowing valves gets less and less. 
    On the other hand if I joined a pub blues band tomorrow and rocked up with just a modelling unit they would probably tell me to piss off. I’d also need a power amp and cab of some sort, or indeed a traditional guitar amp, because usually at that level the amp is part of the volume in the room. 
    Horses for courses but those courses are changing. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • VeggieSharkVeggieShark Frets: 24
    edited April 2023
    When you guys gig with modelers....you usually have to cart a decent monitor as well right?? That's not much of a saving weight wise surely? I have a Helix and 12" Alto powered monitor...and yes its lighter than a 2x12 valve combo but I bet its not a lot lighter than many a 1x12 combo that many gig with. I've always gigged 2x12 amps cos I prefer them. And I'm big n strong. Loreal. Cos I'm worth it. Ahem.  

Whilst I do like the Helix I don't find myself using it a lot. Admittedly it does sound pretty decent and comparable in the overall mix..but to me onstage it doesn't feel or sound quite as good.. I still can tell its digital. 
  • When you guys gig with modelers....you usually have to cart a decent monitor as well right?? That's not much of a saving weight wise surely? I have a Helix and 12" Alto powered monitor...and yes its lighter than a 2x12 valve combo but I bet its not a lot lighter than many a 1x12 combo that many gig with. I've always gigged 2x12 amps cos I prefer them. And I'm big n strong. Loreal. Cos I'm worth it. Ahem.  

Whilst I do like the Helix I don't find myself using it a lot. Admittedly it does sound pretty decent and comparable in the overall mix..but to me onstage it doesn't feel or sound quite as good.. I still can tell its digital. 
    It’s not just weight. It’s manageable volumes that give good tones. I firmly believe very few would know if they were hearing valves or digital and have no regrets ditching valve amps.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • VeggieSharkVeggieShark Frets: 24
    edited April 2023
    Yeah I get that point...but playing with a real drummer seems to be loud enough for my JVM to sound good. My AC30 and pedals always sounds more satisfying than my Helix..but I'm saying that towards my ears onstage..out there where the audience is I agree they'd likely neither notice or care.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    It's great that modern technology allows us so much choice as guitarists.

Some prefer traditional amps, some prefer digital, some prefer a mix.

The audience don't notice at all and couldn't care less.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    Erm...moving this one to a more comfortable home.
    <space for hire>
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    When you guys gig with modelers....you usually have to cart a decent monitor as well right??
    Wembley has its own PA ;-)
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    BigPaulie said:
    It's great that modern technology allows us so much choice as guitarists.

Some prefer traditional amps, some prefer digital, some prefer a mix.

The audience don't notice at all and couldn't care less.
    QED
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    NelsonP said:
    When you guys gig with modelers....you usually have to cart a decent monitor as well right??
    Wembley has its own PA ;-)
    As tube stations go that's the best gig. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ScreamingDaveScreamingDave Frets: 468
    edited May 2023
    All of us, those who use amps and those who use modellers direct to PA, are God’s creatures and he loves us all, OK?

It’s just that those who use modellers are going to Hell …….. sorry
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2139
    edited May 2023

It’s just that those who use modellers are going to Hell …….. sorry
    And those that use amps are going to Hell-ix?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter