Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Jazzmaster wiring issue - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Jazzmaster wiring issue

What's Hot
I’ve been wiring up a Jazzmaster and all works fine when not mounted to the pickguard.

However, when all assembled I’m having a problem with the rhythm/lead circuit.

I plug in with the switch on the lead circuit and all is working fine. Switch to rhythm circuit and all working fine.

But then I switch back to the lead circuit and it all goes quiet. The rhythm circuit still works, but all goes quiet when I switch back to lead?

Pickups are P90s with braided shield wire 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Sounds like you may have a short caused by the braided cable touching something at the rhythm circuit switch, which can be disturbed by switching it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    JoeMc said:
    P90s with braided shield wire 
    ICBM said:
    a short caused by the braided cable touching something at the rhythm circuit switch.
    Your options are:
    1) Reposition the braid so that it cannot short on the lead/rhythm switch terminals.

2) Insulate the braid where it passes near the lead/rhythm switch.

3) Deepen the channel in the body wood between the pickup and switch cavities.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JoeMcJoeMc Frets: 40
    Thank you both, much appreciated! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter