Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Singing voice - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Singing voice

What's Hot
Not sure where to put this….

Mr F and I have gone out as a duo for many years.
My voice has grown over the years. It wasn’t bad.

Covid and lock down did strange things to many I guess. We didn’t really play much. I don’t mean out (obviously) but at home..no practice, nothing.

We are starting to get back into it and we are playing at a mates wedding in three weeks…

My voice has just vanished. It’s not too bad with songs we really know but we are learning new ones and I can’t find the pitch or even the tune.

I had a really bad cold at New Year which it took me ages to get rid of, with a stubborn clearing of the throat going on for months.

Is this the cause or is it just lack of practice?
Will the muscle memory return?
Anything I can do to help?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4501
    I suspect a technique lesson or two with a vocal coach would do wonders. You've probably lost focus due to lack of practice and need a nudge in the right direction again. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 665
    I don't think it's uncommon for the voice to take a while to settle in again when you've not sung for a while. I've definitely had that. I find doing some simple vocal warm up exercises before the rehearsal can help if you don't already do that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    I have been struggling with the exact same problem.

Before lockdown I used to sing regularly and could hold my own on most of the songs I love. For example, my range could easily cover all of the vocal parts on "Good Vibrations" with a little bit to spare above the highest "na na na".

Before lockdown I had a 4 on 4 off job where I'd regularly have the house to myself and could practice to my heart's content.

After being in the house with others for 2 years and changing to a dayshift Monday to Friday job I basically stopped singing in any meaningful way for long enough.

Now I rarely get the house to myself and have found that when I try to sing I can't do anything challenging. Even holding a steady solid note can be a struggle. This means I'm now too self-conscious to push it as there's always someone around to hear me messing up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited May 2023
    @Fledermaus ;;

I'll speak to Mrs Bert.(she was a gigging and session singer for over 40 years)..............................................  watch this space

constant cough/throat clearing is one of THE worst things that can affect/damage vocal chords. - I suspect she'll say  -  warm ups, steam cups and gentle practice -  and maybe some vocalzones  

=================================================================================================
    when you say "cant find the pitch/tune"  is that a physical/mechanical thing like "no sound coming out" or in your ear that you cant pitch it ?

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    yeah - I used to sing a lot pre covid, also due to band / duo gigs or recording. Haven't really sung for 3 years until we bought the daughter a piano - now I am playing piano a lot and singing again, but I really notice the difference in my range, quality of pitch and ability to sustain a note.

I assume it's a combination of age and lack of practice.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    When I got Covid I managed to sing a low LOW low B flat - the 2nd lowest note on a piano. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    viz said:
    When I got Covid I managed to sing a low LOW low B flat - the 2nd lowest note on a piano. 
    I got hit in the lower regions by a football once and sang Soprano!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    viz said:
    I got hit in the lower regions by a football once and sang Soprano!

Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FledermausFledermaus Frets: 175
    bertie said:
    @Fledermaus ;;

I'll speak to Mrs Bert.(she was a gigging and session singer for over 40 years)..............................................  watch this space

constant cough/throat clearing is one of THE worst things that can affect/damage vocal chords. - I suspect she'll say  -  warm ups, steam cups and gentle practice -  and maybe some vocalzones  

=================================================================================================
    when you say "cant find the pitch/tune"  is that a physical/mechanical thing like "no sound coming out" or in your ear that you cant pitch it ?

Sounds come out but it’s thin and reedy, I can’t find the pitch in my ear, my ear has always been good at finding a pitch.

we have videos of the gig at the wedding. Everyone had a great time and said we brilliant…… I wasn’t impressed and i think the stage fright I used to experience at the start of playing as a duo is kicking in, which won’t help either.

I have so much on with elderly parents at the moment I don’t know which way is up but thanks for the comments chaps, it’s good to know I’m not the only one…
  • Have you tried  singing with earplugs in ? Or a mic with headphones? It could just be losing your confidence as you haven’t sung for a long time.

Unless I sing really loudly, or have my earplugs in, I can’t really hear myself and then can’t find the pitch, then feel self conscious , which exacerbates the pitch.