Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Roland gr-33 - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Roland gr-33

What's Hot
Does anyone know how to access the synth sounds from a GR-33 but using a midi keyboard (instead of the guitar unit)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    MIDI cable from keyboard out to guitar synth in should do it. I had a GR30 and I seem to recall that working.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DCS222DCS222 Frets: 45
    Cheers fella, that’s what i thought at first but The gr33 has a weird 13 pin guitar input (i presume to piggyback the guitar analogue signal alongside the midi pick up signal) i have no knowledge of how to splice a standard midi into a Roland 13 pin cable
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 328
    You would plug a MIDI cable into the MIDI in socket on the back of the GR-33, it has nothing to do with the guitar input socket.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The 13 pin guitar cable isn’t actually MIDI - it’s hexaphonic.
    BahHumbug said:
    You would plug a MIDI cable into the MIDI in socket on the back of the GR-33, it has nothing to do with the guitar input socket.
    I looked at that and thought it was the obvious answer, but reading the manual (trying to) I can’t see how to use that input to be the sound creator... it seems to be used for switching/control duties. Admittedly, the manual goes above my head to read when I don’t have a unit in front of me to tinker with... hence my bringing it to this illustrious forum to see if anyone had done it, or could tell me how to.

https://www.roland.com/uk/support/by_product/gr-33/owners_manuals/
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    It’s a bit odd that the manual doesn’t mention it explicitly (with a diagram of a keyboard connected to it or something), but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work. Do you have a keyboard and 5-pin cable to try it?
    It’s the unit I don’t have, the manual I have linked above… if anyone can make more sense than me… I’ll hold my hands up to being a bigger numpty than I already thought I was
  • DCS222 said:
    It’s the unit I don’t have, the manual I have linked above… if anyone can make more sense than me… I’ll hold my hands up to being a bigger numpty than I already thought I was
    Read chapter 9 page 94 it explains routing with an external sequencer substitute controller keyboard for sequencer
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thank you, that looks promising
    I had a GR-33 a few years ago.  I’m pretty sure I did the thing that you’re after - triggering GR-33 notes under the control of another midi device - as an experiment.  Didn’t actually do it for any real reason but to get some midi experience.  I’m pretty sure it wasn’t particularly difficult to get working.
    i don’t have the unit any more so can’t comment further.  Sorry.
    Thanks… I’m a lot more hopeful now
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    The GR33 needs to be in Poly Mode . i.e. Responding to incoming note on/off data via a single MIDI Channel.

The ability of the GR33 to behave like a regular Roland JV series MIDI sound module will be curtailed somewhat by its sound editing parameters. Often, the TVA envelope directly tracks the guitar string vibration, ending abruptly if notes change or are damped. 

The GR1 was capable of playing a basic drums and bass accompaniment under external MIDI control whilst also allowing guitar triggering. I'm not sure whether the GR33's polyphony count is sufficient to cope.

If the TVA envelope can be switched to a simple AR Gate shape, the sounds should behave like an organ.
    Be seeing you.
    Thank you @Funkfingers ;