Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Stomp/Helix/GT1000 with amp - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Stomp/Helix/GT1000 with amp

What's Hot
I'm looking at heading into the world of multi-fx things and selling most of my pedals.

As far as I understand, the Stomp is a smaller version of the Stomp XL which is a scaled back version of a Helix? 

I have a TM Deluxe Reverb and no cab. Will the ones with amp modelling be wasted on me because I already have an amp, and so better to get something like the HX Effects? I don't plan to ever gig, just want to save some money and clear out some gear. 

Haven't had something like this since the late 90s so no idea about them. I don't really want to be playing through my laptop but headphones may come in handy. 

Budget of up to about £700. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• If you have a combo amp that you intend to continue to use then look a HX Effects.

If you want the amp modelling too for your headphone scenario, then get a Stomp.. and turn off the amp modelling when hooked up to the combo amp.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 459
    Helix LT for that price and flexibility of amps on off if have thought. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    It depends how fussy you are about effects.

A few players here have ditched pedalboards for digital and gone back, especially if using them into an amp. Much less so if doing headphone playing and function gigs.

Generally irrespective of amp modelling or not, the better units have better fx.

I have a gt-1000 core that is brilliant but it only has 3 "pedals" for effect on/off in a patch where you can see the patch names on screen. 

What pedals do you have that are must haves? 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    The TM Deluxe doesn't have an FX loop so modelling will probably sound a bit crap plugged in the front.

As a result I'd save a few quid and go for an FX only unit.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4501
    An HX FX is a good piece of kit. I sold mine after a couple of years when I realised I had stopped just sitting down and twiddling knobs. Great for a covers band set list, though. Really.  

The Plethora X5 that replaced it was much better for twiddling knobs and has some great TC Toneprint effects in it. But no drives. However it is potentially an easier change over for someone who is used to working with pedals.

Because of my new band, I needed to do some amp modelling at practice sessions. I picked a GT-1000CORE and it's very good. So good that I then switched to a full size GT-1000 for that. I'm still unsatisfied about the amp modelling, but the effects are very good.  Unlike the Line 6 and TC products, presets change almost instantaneously. No need for snapshots. But… only one reverb block in a preset, and that matters to some people. Only one "model the real thing" delay, too, although there are four more generic digital delays as well. I've also found the send/return ports introduce quite a bit of noise (hiss) when they're "on" and the signal is going through the DAC and signal amplifier. But if you're using a TMDR you’ll be plugging into the guitar input on the amp and won't use the SR blocks for 4CM. 
  • thefezthefez Frets: 122

What pedals do you have that are must haves? 

I love my surfybear and also my nocturne stuff, but I'm not sure that I will miss them that much if I go for something a lot cheaper whilst pocketing the extra cash. 

I've only got 6 total I think, 2 drives, 1 fuzz,  3 revebs/delay.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    I've no experience of these but a unit that seems to be literally making noises and may be a rival for the Stomp is the Hotone Ampero II and so that might be worth checking out, too