Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #93 - Making Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #93

What's Hot
Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #93. Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Thanks to @flying_pie for providing the backing track for this one.

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

Voting will end at midnight 30th April 2023.

The top three will be announced after the voting closes. No prizes. It's just for fun.

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    @flying_pie (or anyone else), if you still want to send an entry, I can still add it to the playlist.

You just might lose out on votes from those that have voted before you submit your entry.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Another rockin' crop of solo's  :)

5 points @stratman3142 - loved the squealing EVH 'isms , tapping figure 0:18 - 0:29 and harmonised lines

3 points @Bellycaster - fit the backing perfect , tasty and understated in the right places. 
    Was that a Thundercat swished by at the start ? lol

1 point @Bennyboy-UK - 80's chorus sound and a guitar heroes approach - sublime!

sorry i ran out of points @fastonebaz ; great pyrotechnics and wizardry , @flying_pie a fab solo to your backing and @maharg101 i loved that phasey sound and melodic approach
    5 points : @DigitalDave : Sweet tone. Melodic with nice touches of shred. Started off a bit 'Alan Murphy' then went into 'Eric Johnson' zone with interval leaps and a blooming tone.

3 points : @Bellycaster: I find myself agreeing with what's been already said above. Melodic, nice tone. Good fit to the backing. Understated and not flashy.

1 point : @fastonebaz :  Flashy :) shred fest. Loads of attitude. Lots of fun.

It's not a competition.
    Voting ends tomorrow (Sunday 30th April) at midnight.

It's not a competition.
    Voting closes tonight at midnight.

Anyone can vote, plus here's a shout out to the following entrants that haven't voted yet:
    @Bellycaster
    @fastonebaz
    @maharg101
    @flying_pie
    @Bennyboy-UK

It's not a competition.
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 568
    5 points: @Bellycaster love the comb filter (?) intro and everything just fits so well with the backing without going gung-ho
    3 points:  @DigitalDave fantastic mood throughout, the tone and mix is spot on
    1 point: @Bennyboy-UK beautiful tone and great playing

Special mentions, in no particular order to @fastonebaz, ;@stratman3142, and @flying_pie who could easily have featured in my top three on repeat listens - this was a tough one to judge as all the entries were inspiring.

This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    Tasty stuff all round here.

5 Points @stratman3142 - Loved the tone and the Tapfest. Nice dual Guitar layering as well. Very skilful, fluid solo.

3 Points @Bennyboy-UK - Another classic 80's tone on offer here. Nice bit trem work and some unleashed shreddy lines.

1 Point @DigitalDave - I liked the "distant" nature of the Guitar in the mix. A very complex bit of playing that is made to sound effortless. As said before, there are some lovely Eric Johnson style phrases later on.

A great range of tones laid down here. Like the flanged tone of @maharg101 , the haunting tone of @flying_pie and of course, the wild tone of @fastonebaz ;

Some have asked about the "Thundercat" Swoosh  :) at the start of my solo. It was just pissing around while I was pondering and listening to the backing in Cubase. I loaded up something called Tranceformer, a ring modulator and started messing around with settings and wiping my fingers down the full length of the strings in time with the beat. I thought it sounded a bit 80's in a sort of Sigue Sigue Sputnik style so I left it in.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    FWIW this backing track borrows heavily from the chord structure of Hungry Eyes but tried to make it a bit Jake E Lee/EVH style. So, bearing in mind the inspiration, my voting takes into account there need for classic 80s leads with a bit of happy cheesiness.

5 points @stratman3142 - just brilliant. Has everything - whammy bar licks, harmony guitars, tapping, flashy licks and great phrasing

3 points @Bellycaster for, as the others days, a great fit

1 points @Bennyboy-UK for great tone and great chops

Sorry to everyone else. Always a close call and there is plenty to nick for the future from you all  !

• Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1565
    V quickly - more notes later
    5 @DigitalDave ;
    3 @Bellycaster ;
    1 @stratman3142 ;
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62, Vanguard.

Please drop me a message.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    5pts @Bellycaster jolly splendid playing,  upbeat and fun, nice work

3pts @DigitalDave ; gorgeous tone and v fitting melodies and phrasing, great use of space and sustained notes

1pts @Bennyboy-UK ;cool tone like early WASP. Giving it the berries ace

They were all excellent. 

Voting closed.

It's not a competition.