Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Listening Party #21 / Prince - Purple Rain // Weds 26th April, 8pm - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Listening Party #21 / Prince - Purple Rain // Weds 26th April, 8pm

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• That was good...thanks for arranging it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    I’ll have it on today as catch up. 

Let’s Go Crazy - I remembered the OTT modulations but there is heavy riff going on. It’s a very busy song and just when you think you know what is happening there’s a rock freak out ending. 

Take Me With U - ooh those drums on the intro date it. I like the strings (real strings?) which is a thing I almost never say.

The Beautiful Ones - now into songs I don’t really remember.  Yep it’s a bit forgettable. First play in 30 years so that might be unfair. 

Computer Blue -  maybe music by someone writing for film rather than all three minute pop songs? Sort of 70s funk meets John Carpenter. Again, lot more guitar work on tracks than I really remembered. 

Darling Nikki - this is what made teenage me pay attention! Such a groovy (that the right word?) song. 

When Doves Cry - OMG that intro! That outro solo is lovely, I wonder how many DJs used that to talk across. 

I Would Die 4 U - classic bit of pop but it’s quite subdued in the context of this album. 

Baby I’m a Star - RnB/disco/funk workout. I can see it as the dance choice, added to many party mix tapes. Maybe a bit undistinguished in this company.  

Purple Rain - classic innit? 

Was anyone into Prince before this song was released?
    The early fishnet stocking clad Prince was featured in Sounds (probably about him rather than interviewing him) so I remembered that as a striking image. 
    I’m quite surprised that 1999 and Little Red Corvette were pre Purple Rain as I imagined this as the start of his commercially successful period. 

Sorry I didn’t take part in the listening party but interesting to revisit this album which I don’t think I would have otherwise. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter