Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Variations of 'Sleep Walk' - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Variations of 'Sleep Walk'

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
in Music tFB Trader
Same song but how many different ways to play such a classic instrumental

First up Larry Carlton
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Then Jeff Beck

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Then Brian Setzer

tFB Trader
    Then probably my favourite - Chet Atkins and Leo Kottke

tFB Trader
    Then Hank

tFB Trader
    And only just found this version today - Les Paul

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 557
    My favourite is this one, which is better than the version he did in the studio:

Also partial to Satriani's. Don't enjoy his stunt-guitar stuff, but this is very tasteful:

tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^ - like the sleazy nature of that version (RJ Ronquillo) and in a way the kind of way I've been trying to play it 
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 807
    edited April 2023

tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^ - Cool
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    edited April 2023
    Danny Gatton 3 

https://youtu.be/cmgAjkxq4Gc

Edit: full video
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Anyone else hear hints of Midnight at the Oasis in the Amos Garrett version?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1322
    Santo & Johnny, the original and best.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1300
    tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    Danny Gatton 3 

https://youtu.be/cmgAjkxq4Gc

I've seen that before but whilst we all know how talented he is, I don't like that version at all - To much going on - I like many of the above and you can take snippets of all of the above to make your own version - But I'll pass on this clip
    Bit surprised this one hasn't been mentioned, given that there seem to be lots of fans of heavier music on the forum. Not among my favourite versions, but a grower, and I love the horn-like sound that Stephen Carpenter (I assume) gets out of his guitar at the beginning.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Great thread!

Headline should be "octogenarian with arthritis schools youtubers and wannabes...."

That old boy is so good they should make him a signature guitar....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    roberty said:
    Danny Gatton 3 

I've seen that before but whilst we all know how talented he is, I don't like that version at all - To much going on - I like many of the above and you can take snippets of all of the above to make your own version - But I'll pass on this clip
    That's a shame. I'm blown away by his fluency with chord melodies
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    SimonC said:

Damn right. There's just something untouchable about the original. Not a single extra note that doesn't need to be there.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    edited April 2023
    SimonC said:

Damn right. There's just something untouchable about the original. Not a single extra note that doesn't need to be there.

When the host says "By Jimminy"...!
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1322
    Strap yourselves in now ladies!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    roberty said:
    Danny Gatton 3 

That's a shame. I'm blown away by his fluency with chord melodies
    Normally I would agree with you - And I like trying that approach, albeit in a very poor way - Somehow prefer playing my version of a tune/melody, as against just doodling over a 12 bar etc
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    I have to say (in my ignorance) I thought is was about this...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited June 2023
    Lovely stuff from two great players. Skip to 12:05.

tFB Trader
    barnstorm said:
    Lovely stuff from two great players. Skip to 12:05.

Very clever, inventive and well put together - I can buy into such 'novelty' acts from time to time as they are fresh - Often better life - But I could not sit down and listen to them for to long - 'Novelty' probably is not the right term, but in the same way I'd place the National Ukulele Orchestra - Very clever very entertaining - It has its place - But after a while it is time for me to move on - I don't mean that in a derogatory way

Equally if I pick up a Ukulele it sounds poor and quickly run out of ideas - Theses guys have transformed it in to an art form so top marks and thanks for posting it 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438