Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Record Store Day - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Record Store Day

What's Hot
SimonCSimonC Frets: 1322
Anyone heading out to their local record store for a few Record Store day gems tomorrow?
There looks to be some interesting stuff in this year’s list.

I’m hoping to bag these 2 if I can

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/rsd-list/elvis-presley-2/

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/rsd-list/thin-lizzy/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I'd love to be in a position to be buying vinyl again, but I'm not on any level. I do still have my 2000 album collection though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hoping to grab the Porcupine Tree EP thingy and the Pearl Jam Give Way live album. Yield is probably my favourite PJ album so looking forward to that. I might pick up the new Dodie EP too. Haven't been to this store in a while either so will have a good poke around.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    I've been lucky previous RSDs and not missed out on much I want.

This time though I'm after 1975, Blur, Mansun, Suede and the compilation of monster themed tunes - my local probably won't have many of any by the time I get there.

Still going though, great atmosphere on RSD.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    I've been lucky previous RSDs and not missed out on much I want.

This time though I'm after 1975, Blur, Mansun, Suede and the compilation of monster themed tunes - my local probably won't have many of any by the time I get there.

Still going though, great atmosphere on RSD.

I was right - queues much later than normal this year and the only one they had was Blur b-sides... £40!!!

I thought this excessive...
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Funnily enough this came up on my timehop the other day, marking one of the last times I went to RSD.  After queuing for ages, I left empty handed; anything I wanted was either already gone (and swiftly reappearing that afternoon on eBay with a healthy markup) or ridiculously expensive (£100 for Soundgarden Superunknown singles, and this was in 2014).

The last time I went - or tried to go - was in 2017, when I spent some time queuing outside a store in Kingston slowly shuffling forwards.  Eventually I just said to myself “Eh, fuck it”, drove off to a lovely record store in Camberley which wasn’t doing RSD and bought some great records.

Love vinyl and want to support your local record store?  Go there during the rest of the year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Cols said:
    Love vinyl and want to support your local record store?  Go there during the rest of the year.

I thought it was much better what they did in 2020 in the midst of Covid.  They had two "drops" and therefore two smaller "Recordstore Days", as a lot of bands cancelled tours and lacked revenue, there were also a lot of juicy releases.  This year seemed a bit less big, except for "TayTay" of course...

They also have "national album day" - but it's probably past time they used the RSD "brand" that has been so successful to help encourage people to use their local record shops all the time.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1732
    It was my first RSD this year. I queued for about 50min to find that they didn't have what I wanted  :/  
    I had a backup option but when they said it was the last one then was a groan of disappointment from a young girl a few behind me in the queue so I left it for her and went home empty handed.
    Don't think I'll bother going to another RSD but I was visiting Scarborough and the shop there looked pretty cool, wish I'd used the queueing time just to look through their normal stock instead!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    I stopped doing RSD when from my vantage point in the queue I watched four successive people walk out of the shop and all unloading the contents of their bags to a man waiting on a corner. They all had whatever was the limited Bowie release that year amongst others. 

I was after different records but left empty handed. A pal in a different shop told me that the owner actually held back the really rare stuff to sell on eBay himself. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I saw a couple of bands in Rough Trade. Bought the Happy Mondays remix thing. Haven't listened to it yet. There was no queue and there was beer. It was lively in there. I felt old
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6075
    edited April 2023
    I’m actually quite meh about Record Store Day.

Vinyl can get in the sea.

Exclusive / ltd editions….also meh. If the song is good enough for release, it should be available for anyone who wants it. If it’s not good enough for everyone, keep it to yourself.

Edit: music shouldn’t be an elitist sport…”You’re not a real fan if you didn’t queue up at 4:30am in Walsall for that 10” picture disc….”

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Record Store Day my arse.

I remember when every day was Record SHOP Day. 
    BigMonka said:
    It was my first RSD this year. I queued for about 50min to find that they didn't have what I wanted  :/ 
    You got the proper experience.

The problem is... limited stock, much of which you have no interest in, awkward or impossible to get what you want, and ultimately much easier to get it online... AND it's all on fucking spotify anyhow.

A microcosm for the collapse of retail, really.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    I own more music, and more vinyl, than pretty much anyone i know but i couldnt give a fuck about RSD if I'm honest. It's just collector guff.