Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Kemper Profiler Unamplified Yes or No ? - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Kemper Profiler Unamplified Yes or No ?

VoxsupertwinVoxsupertwin Frets: 270
edited April 2023 in Digital & Modelling
Still worth buying or old hat ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Check out my recent thread here - https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/244242/from-the-quad-cortex-back-to-the-kemper#latest

In my opinion it might be old but it still does a lot of things better than the competition. The biggest bonus is it has loads of amazing profiles due to its age, anybody can find something they like. For live use it also has a lot of quality of life features that really work in a live setting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1555
    Good sounds don't age and it's not that old in the grand scheme of things.

If you don't want to fanny about meticulously crafting tones then I find it great. I spent way too long with Helix faffing about trying to get it to sound the way I wanted and was only ever happy with a small number of tones. Axe sounded superb but just gave me too many options.

With Kemper I just open up the editor on my computer, double click on a few profiles of the amp I want to find the flavour I like then away I go. Never messing about with IRs, EQs, parallel chains or any of that - just pick amp and go.

Tried for ages to get e.g. a Rectifier sound out of the Helix that I liked and never got it right. On the Kemper I just searched the online library, clicked on what was available and bang, the tone I was after was there right away. Nothing more than maybe a small volume or gain adjustment, maybe a notch or two on the 3 band EQ and away.

However, I know that other people get their Helix/Axe/whatever to sound amazing and love the options that you don't get with profiling so just depends on your needs. I always thought having the tweakability rather than not was the way forwards but turns out, for me anyway, it just got in the way.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 896
    I currently have a Kemper, an Axe 2 and a Helix. I’m still tweaking the Helix but I’ve had the Kemper for 10 years and the Axe for 6 so they’re well set up for my needs. All these things can sound great and each have advantages and disadvantages depending on your personal use case.

I have compared them extensively using my Redsound cabs and power amps and guitar cabs through a Boss LS-2 switcher. To my ears, the Kemper definitely has the edge and just sounds more 3D than the modellers. My band mate and fellow guitarist when he heard it compared to the Axe 2 said “they both sound good but the Kemper sounds like an amp”. He owns an Axe 2 btw.