Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). SORTED-Thanks everyone!Takamine tuner upgrade help! - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

SORTED-Thanks everyone!Takamine tuner upgrade help!

What's Hot
rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 731
edited June 2023 in Acoustics
Hi all you acoustic experts! I have need of some advice! I’m not a big acoustic player but I have a nice (but cheap) EG440SC Chinese Takamine which I kinda like and it really does need a tuner upgrade. I have read that perhaps the Grover 102:18 tuners are a straight swap but they ain’t cheap! The Tak isn’t worth much so is there some other brand/model number that would replace the originals that you could recommend that would be a cheaper option but would still do the job? Ta!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    This is a question for @ICBM
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    It looks like any of the standard Grover Rotomatics with the screw lug on the centreline should fit.

But are you certain they need changing? Takamine use quite decent ones - if it’s not staying in tune or the tuning ‘jumps’ when tuning, 99% of the time that’s a problem with the nut grooves, and if it slips it may be your stringing method… new machineheads won’t help with either of those.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 731
    ICBM said:

But are you certain they need changing? Takamine use quite decent ones - if it’s not staying in tune or the tuning ‘jumps’ when tuning, 99% of the time that’s a problem with the nut grooves, and if it slips it may be your stringing method… new machineheads won’t help with either of those.
    Thanks. Yep they definitely need changing.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    I'll check what I ordered tomorrow when I have access to my laptop. I replaced the tuners on an old EG332 a few years ago and what I used is fine. The old ones were knackered. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    Found it. Four years ago on an EG332C I used a set of Gotoh SG381. A couple of the original tuners were FUBAR with wobbly posts, stripped gears, stripped collar nuts etc.

I got them from https://www.gluedtomusic.com not least because @GluedtoMusic was the person who helpfully replied to tell me what I needed.

Thanks- exactly the same problems as I have. The 381’s won’t fit mine it’ll be the 301’s for me!
  • GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    tFB Trader
    Thanks @Snags ; yes it appears to be the SG301 you need, if you can post a photo of the back of your headstock I can easily double check
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
  • PALPAL Frets: 465
    Any guitar irrespective of how much it costs is not worth having if it won't play or stay on tune so it's best to avoid 
     cheap machine heads. some of the issues with machine heads are usually things like the nylon type washers between the 
     tuner body and the actual tuner button ( sometimes it's nylon with a metal clip ) it can also be the screw that passes through
     the tuner button these can become loose and the threads become worn but the good news is you can buy these spares and
     I think you can buy kits for this issue. I would help if you could post a photo of your tuner and the exact issue.
     Also as someone has pointed out it could just be a nut issue. Hope this helps.

Sorted Fanku 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    I had a second hand Takamine for about a year and the only thing wrong with it,condition wise,was a cracked tuning peg. I wonder if this is a common Takamine problem?