Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). help / advice for determining midi output of a Disaster Area Designs DMC3 XL - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

help / advice for determining midi output of a Disaster Area Designs DMC3 XL

Have downloaded midi monitor on mac / midi ox on pc - and am plugged in via M - Audio Uno interface to a Gen 2 DAD DMC3XL.

The latter is no longer supported by DAD and I can't get any further with them 

I am trying to determine what happens with each of the various options on the controller ( powering up with various footswitch combinations gives different functionality when attached to a timeline or L6 M5 )  - so far all I have learned is that it is channel 1 . 

21:19:47.061 From USB Uno MIDI Interface Control 1 Non-Registered Parameter LSB 2
21:19:47.062 From USB Uno MIDI Interface Control 1 Non-Registered Parameter LSB 5
21:19:47.063 From USB Uno MIDI Interface Control 1 Non-Registered Parameter LSB 8
21:19:47.064 From USB Uno MIDI Interface Control 1 Non-Registered Parameter LSB 10
21:19:47.065 From USB Uno MIDI Interface Control 1 Non-Registered Parameter LSB 12
21:19:47.066 From USB Uno MIDI Interface Control 1 Non-Registered Parameter LSB 14
21:19:47.067 From USB Uno MIDI Interface Control 1 Non-Registered Parameter LSB 17
21:19:47.068 From USB Uno MIDI Interface Control 1 Non-Registered Parameter LSB 20
21:19:47.069 From USB Uno MIDI Interface Control 1 Non-Registered Parameter LSB 22
21:19:47.070 From USB Uno MIDI Interface Control 1 Non-Registered Parameter LSB 24

above data from midi monitor 

Midi OX is clearly a more sophisticated tool set - if anyone has any idiot level advice here about what I should think about next - I am trying to see if I can use this pedal with an L6 M5 but no success so far .

cheers for looking 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• looks like it’s sending out Non-Registered Parameter Numbers, which I have never heard off before now 

My guess is that your DMC has been configured to interface with a very specific bit of kit. The DMC box I have an Arduino so can be reprogrammed, but that’s a lot of work and not worth doing if you don’t mind potentially writing it off

you may be able to find old firmware for the box on the Disaster Area site using the Wayback Machine which might let you download a different firmware for it and set it up to be more general. It’ll take a bit of trawling though 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 414
    looks like it’s sending out Non-Registered Parameter Numbers, which I have never heard off before now 

My guess is that your DMC has been configured to interface with a very specific bit of kit. The DMC box I have an Arduino so can be reprogrammed, but that’s a lot of work and not worth doing if you don’t mind potentially writing it off

you may be able to find old firmware for the box on the Disaster Area site using the Wayback Machine which might let you download a different firmware for it and set it up to be more general. It’ll take a bit of trawling though 

cheers for feedback - I was totally unaware of Wayback Machine but will take sometime to review 

in meantime - based on reading up a little on nrpn - I will see if Midi Ox can provide any further detail 

basically this device will control bank up n down selection on strymon timeline as default but in various modes do patch selection / act as looper control  - but with Line6 M5 should do some preset mode interaction .

I will retrieve my timeline and test if its working with this - as only have a recent M5 purchase here - n not sure if its midi is working, the DMC is tanked or firmware not actually doing M5 support etc .  ( jeez - I thought this was gonna be a a 5 min job !!)
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 782
    edited April 2023
    Yep, sending NRPNs.  Unfortunately there no way of knowing what those are doing unless you have the midi manual for the equipment.  

Unlike Midi CCs (which are actually part of NRPN format) which have an industry standard format (even if WHAT the CCs do changes) there is no convention for NRPNs.   Its manufacturer specific always, and in many cases even equipment specific (ie no correlation between two bits of kit from the same company).

It also means something might send something that the receiving unit either doesnt respond to, or does something you dont want and vica versa.  

An NRPN will consist of an LSB, MSBand PC (stands for Lowest Significant bit, Most significant bit, and Program Change) .   a Midi CC is just the Program change part with the MSB and LSB set by standard.   With a pure NRPN, those could be anything.    Thera re benefits - a midi CC can only have 128 levels, but utilising LSB/MSB/PC formant its hugh - something like 2084 (Im not sure exactly how many) and its getting more common on hi resolution  hardware (synth filters for instance, where for instance Peak has 256 increments and fantom has 1028 - both need NRPN for that, a Midi CC value is useless)  

Without the midi manual for the receiving unit (and likely th etransmittin one as well for the MSB/PC part if needed) - youll never know what its actually doing.

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 414
    @paulmapp8306 ;

cheers for the detailed breakdown - will see DAD can be a little more accommodating - its not like I want anything other than information