Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Yes meets Led Zeppelin.. Greta Van Fleet - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Yes meets Led Zeppelin.. Greta Van Fleet

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
Yes meets Led Zeppelin
 I'm so torn on this band.. :)
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    edited April 2023
    I don't get them. They can play, but we already have Led Zep! Americans seems to lap this stuff up anyhow so that's the "market" covered for them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I know they divide opinions, and I'm sure they have talent and ability.... but personally I can't stand them.

Many bands' influences are obvious and there's nothing wrong with that, but there's a fine line between paying tribute to your heroes and being a second-rate version of them... I don't know exactly where that line is but, for me, Greta Van Fleet are on the wrong side of it.

And this is very shallow, I can't justify it.... but the singer looks like such a tit.  I just want to punch him in the face.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I think they are a good band, 4 young lads making a successful career in music so far. I don't get the 'Led Zep clones' hate. They do have a LZ sound, but overall are more ballsy and modern. I think that it's become a bit of a never ending and tiresome stick to hit them with, like the Nickelback hate. That's also pretty pointless and unfair. I remember back in the day the band Kingdom Come were labelled LZ clones. I saw them live once supporting Magnum, they were very good.

The irony of the situation, as we all know, is the fact that Page and Plant were often stealers of other people's music! GVF haven't stolen anything, they are merely influenced.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    edited April 2023
    axisus said:
    I think they are a good band, 4 young lads making a successful career in music so far. I don't get the 'Led Zep clones' hate. They do have a LZ sound, but overall are more ballsy and modern. I think that it's become a bit of a never ending and tiresome stick to hit them with, like the Nickelback hate. That's also pretty pointless and unfair. I remember back in the day the band Kingdom Come were labelled LZ clones. I saw them live once supporting Magnum, they were very good.

The irony of the situation, as we all know, is the fact that Page and Plant were often stealers of other people's music! GVF haven't stolen anything, they are merely influenced.
    Read this & thought what!?  Kingdom Come (later Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come) were a band I saw back in the 70's, nothing like Zeppelin. First band to record a full album using a drum machine (sorry, Sister's of Mercy fans).
    Then I checked to out & found there were two Kingdome Come's, the original was British, the later one a German rock band  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Come_(British_band)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Come_(band)

Edit: * Don't know WTF Wikipedia is up to, but it will not allow separate pages to have different addresses. Bah!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    axisus said:
    I remember back in the day the band Kingdom Come were labelled LZ clones. I saw them live once supporting Magnum, they were very good.

They were a good band, good players, but they were also extremely derivative.  Lenny Wolf didn't help matters by claiming (possibly in jest) that he'd never heard of Led Zeppelin and their biggest influence was the Beatles.

Page has commented on Kingdom Come and Plant on Greta Van Fleet.  I doubt that in either case they'd ever have heard of those bands if the similarities weren't so bleedin' obvious.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    edited April 2023
    I met Kingdom Come at the special baggage reclaim in Newcastle airport: I was coming back from a school trip. Got their autograph and everything. Think they were a bit surprised anyone knew who they were at the time - just after their first album came out. I was a fan at the time, no one else at school had heard of them and were wondering why I was so excited :) Listening back now, they sound like an 80s sleaze rock version of Zep and that’s fine by me. Not a fan of Greta VF particularly but it would be churlish of me to object to a third generation getting a Zep of their own. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    The thing that annoys me is that there are hundreds of bands doing the 70s throwback much better, Sweden alone has about 50 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    On reflection, more power to them if they can make a living out of it these days, just not my cuppa.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 287
    axisus said:
    I think that it's become a bit of a never ending and tiresome stick to hit them with, like the Nickelback hate.

That's some good comparison. I find both bands similarly shallow and irritating.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1521
    edited April 2023
    Yes meets Nope.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    I saw Kingdom Come (or Kingdom Clone as some in the press called them) and you could tell which LZ song each of theirs was based on, which is quite clever, I suppose.

I listened to a bit of GVF and to be honest I prefer to listen to Zep.

Maybe it's a generational thing. 
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    I can't help feeling there's a cynicism behind it all.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    LPManic said:
    Here? Never  ;)
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    I bought an album on a vinyl. That’s what the kids call it I think. It’s fine as background music. 

Could I ask a question out of curiosity? How old are you and what do you think of GVF and LZ?

I’m 40. Greta 5, Zep 6. 
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    LPManic said:
    Here? Never  ;)
    Not here. We are all objective and honest punters.

I mean with the band. 
    Penn said:
    Could I ask a question out of curiosity? How old are you and what do you think of GVF and LZ?

Who, all of us?
    Philly_Q said:
    Penn said:

Who, all of us?
    Yeah why not?
    edited April 2023
    I’m just curious if people of different ages view it differently  
  • It’s so much of a tribute act even this thread’s been done before…

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited April 2023
    OK, I'm 58 going on 59...

I've been a fan of Led Zeppelin for 40-odd years but - unlike most bands I like - they have quite a few songs I can't stand.  But on a Zeppelin album you're never far from something amazing.  The bad tracks actually increase the anticipation of the great ones.

I've listened to Greta Van Fleet's first two "albums" a number of times (I know From the Fires is essentially an extended EP).  I haven't heard the last album.  I don't hate what they do, they make the right noises - sort of - but it doesn't move me at all.

I know it's been said many times that LZ nicked a lot of elements of their early songs.  But they didn't sound like Willie Dixon.  I think in some ways sounding exactly like another band is "worse" plagiarism than nicking their riffs.  To me Greta Van Fleet just don't sound like an original band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Painting by numbers innit. It's quite fun but you're not going to put it in a frame and hang it on the wall.

At least when Airbourne do AC/DC you get the feeling they're doing it with a  cheeky wink.  ;)
    Kilgore said:
    At least when Airbourne do AC/DC you get the feeling they're doing it with a  cheeky wink.  ;)
    I don't like them either.  Or Rhino Bucket.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Philly_Q said:
    Kilgore said:
    At least when Airbourne do AC/DC you get the feeling they're doing it with a  cheeky wink. 
    Never even heard of Rhino Bucket.
    Kilgore said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Kilgore said:
    At least when Airbourne do AC/DC you get the feeling they're doing it with a  cheeky wink. 
    Never even heard of Rhino Bucket.
    Just imagine AC/DC.  Or Airbourne.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Does it sound a bit like Zep? Sure it does. Who cares?

THE GOOD:
    *It's a significantly better sound than (almost) anything Zep ever did. Top marks there.
    * The singer has a great voice and knows how to use it.

THE BAD
    * One of the worst bits of lead guitar I've heard in quite a while. Most pub band players do better. 
    * Awful - and I mean really awful - film clip. 

OVERALL
    * Not the sort of thing I generally listen to, but an easy passing mark. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    edited April 2023
    I'm not sure where Yes fits into the scheme of things there.
    There have been one or two heavily Led Zep influenced bands who've evolved into their own thing; in particular Heart and Rush, but I'm not sure GVF are going anywhere in particular.
    It was amusing seeing Planty commenting on their (ahem) similarities in an interview clip I recall seeing a while back.
    It's a bit like seeing ELO and thinking "perhaps if the Beatles hadn't existed".
    "All of my love" (repeat) -> "All of our love" (repeat).
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 3884
    edited April 2023
    GVF sound like what you get if you're making a TV show about a period but aren't allowed to use the real songs for your slightly camouflaged version of a real band. And the songs aren't good enough to justify the fame of the band in the movie  

A bit like Daisie Jones and the Six, which always seemed moments away from playing You Can Go Your Own Way. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    prowla said:
    I'm not sure where Yes fits into the scheme of things there.
    There have been one or two heavily Led Zep influenced bands who've evolved into their own thing; in particular Heart and Rush, but I'm not sure GVF are going anywhere in particular.
    It was amusing seeing Planty commenting on their (ahem) similarities in an interview clip I recall seeing a while back.
    It's a bit like seeing ELO and thinking "perhaps if the Beatles hadn't existed".
    "All of my love" (repeat) -> "All of our love" (repeat).
    Yes, as in the vocals at the start of the track. When I first heard it, Jon Anderson immediately popped into my mind.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    First album (which I enjoyed hugely) was very LZ oriented, second (to my cloth ears) was nothing like LZ.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Penn said:
    I bought an album on a vinyl. That’s what the kids call it I think. It’s fine as background music. 

I’m 40. Greta 5, Zep 6. 
    I'm 60. Loved Zep back in the day but never play them now (well, extremely rarely), classic/iconic band though.

GVF - I like the noise they make, and the singer has a good voice. I'd be more likely to listen to them than LZ now. But I don't. I don't do streaming and I don't own their albums.