Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Yamaha announces new FG9 - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Yamaha announces new FG9

What's Hot
DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
edited April 2023 in Acoustics
The long running FG stable gallops on. New at NAMM 2023 comes the FG9. Very exciting for FG fans such as moi  :-)

And they will soon be about in the UK 
Yamaha FG Series | FG9 R - Natural - Peach Guitars

Just been looking at a few videos on YouTube from NAMM and elsewhere and they look lovely but there's a few departures from the previous FG business model. Also some interesting aspects to the numeration suggesting there may be more new models on the way.

It is interesting that, thus far, Yamaha have only announced this FG9. Given that the previous 'top' FG's were the FG3 and FG5, where is the FG7? The FG5 was very similar to the FG3 and the marketing led one to believe that the FG3 was the Chinese Red Label and the FG5 was the Japanese Red Label. Both true, but possibly only to the extent that the FG5 was finished off at Hamamatsu, Yamaha's Acoustic guitar facility in Japan. Will there be a cheaper FG7 eventually? Hopefully.

Secondly the price. At £3,299 the FG9 is significantly more expensive than the FG5. I obtained an FG5 in the sale at Yamaha London in 2020 for less than £1K and they now market at a little over £1K. FG's have always been cheap ever since the first one I owned in the mid 1970's. My current FG830 only costs £399 and it's a truly great student guitar, very similar to my first FG. They have always had the reputation of being cheaper good alternatives to US dreadnoughts. At £3,299 the FG9 is probably actually being made in Japan and is competing with dreadnoughts made by makers like e.g. Larrivee. This abandons the cheaper characteristics of the FG line to a certain extent. I hope it works for Yamaha. That's why I wonder if there won't be an FG7 with some Chinese input to cover this part of their traditional customer base.

Also will there be an FS9 and an FS7? Who knows.  FG means Folk Guitar and has always been a square-shouldered dreadnought and FS means Folk Small in Yamaha parlance and is more OM sized.

Back to the FG9 and what's new. Adirondack tops and a choice of Mahogany or East Indian Rosewood for the back and sides are different to the FG5 which only had the spruce/mahogany option. Really nice inlayed wrap-around fret markers just like those on some of Gibson's new(ish) Generation range (the ones with the soundholes on the side) but nicer. A departure from most other FG's which have simple and very traditional dot inlays. I like them. A very natty new white label for the FG9 really gives the impression that Yamaha are evolving the FG in quite a major new direction. Lastly a full gloss finish as opposed to the FG5 and FG3 which have a semi-gloss finish. Reviewers on the videos comment on the loudness of the FG9 and it certainly seems to have great sustain but you would have to try one out to get the tone.

I'm getting a bit old for dreadnoughts which are getting a bit too big for my shoulder joints. I know there's a lot of ifs here, but if Yamaha ever do bring out an FS9, I would quite fancy a (mahogany back and sides) one. Better still, if they bring out an FS7 which sounds good and is cheaper but just as yummy, I would fancy that even more!

When they land the FG9 at Coda or Peach, both of which are quite near, I will go and have a look I think.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    I've been across this development recently too.

The videos I've seen sound absolutely amazing!

Two things spring to mind:

1. These will be outstanding guitars.

2. Retailing at >£3k, the depreciation will be horrendous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Serious question.

Why would Yamaha bring out a high-end model in its existing middling-cheap FG range (also FS, is there an FJ?)  and have to battle to change people's conception of what "FG" indicates instead of simply refreshing their well-known and well-respected existing high-end range (LS/LJ/LL)?

From a marketing point of view, it makes no sense. It would be like Fender bringing out a new top-of-the-range Strat under the Squier brand. 

Look like nice guitars mind you, I'm only bemused at the peculiar branding. 

PS: are they going to drop the LL/LS/LJ range now? I have noticed that here in Oz no-one ever has any stock of them, bot since 2020. Their dealers list them and say "available to order, call us" but never actually get one in. Maybe Yamaha have stopped making them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    Tannin said:
    Serious question.

Why would Yamaha bring out a high-end model in its existing middling-cheap FG range (also FS, is there an FJ?)  and have to battle to change people's conception of what "FG" indicates instead of simply refreshing their well-known and well-respected existing high-end range (LS/LJ/LL)?

Fg is the body size, their 'true' dreadnought guitar. All their true dreads have been called FG models for well over 40 years AFAIK. It's like Martin using D for their dreads. 

I think I gather it's LL = modified dread, LJ = Small Jumbo, LS - Long scale Concert, FS - Short scale Concert. 

I think the new model is akin to the Martin D45 is a higher spec model than the Martin D12. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    edited April 2023
    Also new is this rather natty heel logo. Nice to pay attention to any area only the player can see! Love it.
    Yamah FG9

As regards comments on pricing and numeration. I can only think that the FG is such a well known and loved brand in its own right that Yamaha have decided to take it quite a lot up-market as regards the build and price point. Parking on other peoples lawns is all part of retailing. It's a departure for them. Meanwhile there are still much cheaper FG's. Just hope there always will be.

Anyway - Yummyha!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    Tannin said:
    Serious question.

Fg is the body size, their 'true' dreadnought guitar. All their true dreads have been called FG models for well over 40 years AFAIK. It's like Martin using D for their dreads. 

I think I gather it's LL = modified dread, LJ = Small Jumbo, LS - Long scale Concert, FS - Short scale Concert. 

I think the new model is akin to the Martin D45 is a higher spec model than the Martin D12. 
    You're in the right ballpark.

FG is a particular range of guitars rather than a specific body format. The series contains, rather confusingly, FG and FS models. FG range guitars have a 634mm scale length. The FG models within the FG range are what Yamaha refers to as "Traditional Western" body shape. It differs subtly from the Ditson/Martin dreadnought recipe. Yamaha have in the past issued some traditional dreadnoughts with the "DW" prefix though they are no longer in manufacture.

The letter "S" in the second character of a model name indicates Yamaha's "concert" (small) size body.

The "L" series is another range of guitars. Apparently "L" was used to denote "Luxury". L series guitars have a 650mm scale length. The LL guitars feature Yamaha's "Original Jumbo" body format which differs significantly from both their "Traditional Western" and original dreadnought format. LS guitars feature the concert size body. LJ is what Yamaha call "medium Jumbo".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bugilemanbugileman Frets: 54
    edited April 2023
    Its a bit like the early FG-1200 2000 etc then becomes the 'L' series. In essence the FG9 is more on the same line as the LL's, but doesn't have so much bling....

Here's what yamaha have said about the FG9:
    Introducing the Yamaha FG9, our new flagship dreadnought acoustic guitar and the culmination of everything we have learned and developed over the past fifty plus years of crafting some of the world’s finest acoustic guitars. The FG9 is based on the philosophy that the instrument should articulate the artist’s emotions and meet the highest standards of musical expression demanded by today's players.

The hand-selected solid Adirondack spruce top produces a rich, balanced tone for superb vocal accompaniment and a wide dynamic volume range, with plenty of headroom to play loud and cut through without losing tonal integrity. Options for solid Indian rosewood and solid African mahogany back/sides are available. Easy, smooth playability with a 1-piece mahogany neck, ebony fretboard, and a nitrocellulose finish on the body.

Handcrafted in Japan.

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    BigPaulie said:

3.  its just another dread 

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    edited April 2023
    @bertie ;      "3.  its just another dread"

Yes that may well turn out to be true I think.

It is just another 'high end of mid price' dread. As apposed to what FG's have always been which is really rather good low price dreads bought by student players and people on a budget. 'High end of mid price" for dreads is a sea with lots of boats in in 2023.

It would be great to know how many FG9 Yamaha shift c.f. FG5. At present pricing, 1 FG9 will buy you 2.7 FG5's, but I suspect they are quite different animals. That being said, the FG5 is very good and, whilst the FG9 might be better, it will be up to us the punters to decide if it is worth paying that amount of extra money to acquire a desirable Yamaha square-shouldered dreadnought.

But Yamaha know their own business. One of the guys from Yamaha Japan involved in the development of the FG9 said on a NAMM video that it's aimed at the American market which is interesting.

So FG9 - good looking guitar with a shed load of competition. Most of which is very good/excellent.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    edited April 2023
    There were lots of rumours abound of MIJ L series production winding down due to an ageing/retiring workforce. I would presume that the new FGs will be cheaper to make from a labour standpoint - bolt-on vs set neck, single piece necks vs 3/5 or whatever they are on the Ls, poly finish on the neck, no shell purfling like on the 36/56+, it all seems slightly designed to require less labour, and with the price being where it is they are going to Adirondack tops to try to add some value. Perhaps they will be able to make more of them. (Heck, good Engelmann now must be almost as rare as Adi… Bob Taylor himself claims it’s “virtually gone”). 

Interesting too that it’s an “FG” in name but it’s also long scale (650mm). 

I suspect that despite the crazy prices of the MIJ Ls they are able to sell every single one of those they make - especially more so considering the discounting here over the past couple years - will be fascinating to see if the same holds true of these new ones, esp if the L series is indeed being (slowly) sunsetted. The LL56 is a far higher spec guitar in many ways that was selling for roughly the same price (as the new FG9) when it was here recently, but I do reckon that’s just not sustainable for them anymore and this is being brought in as the new top tier. 

But hey - ebony bridge pins!!! D
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 417
    bertie said:
    BigPaulie said:

3.  its just another dread 

But a natty Dread...
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    JCA2550 said:

But a natty Dread...
    oxymoron ;) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    edited April 2023
    Now at London Yamaha on Wardour St for.........

.........£4,253.00.

I'm really not sure how many they'll sell at that premium price. it's £800 more than a new D28 Reimagined.

An FG for £4K+? Now that is an oxymoron.
    DavidR said:
    Now at London Yamaha on Wardour St for.........

.........£4,253.00.

I'm really not sure how many they'll sell at that premium price. it's £800 more than a new D28 Reimagined.

An FG for £4K+? Now that is an oxymoron.
    Not sure why they are so high when other retailers are selling preorders at £3299. Still high for an FG but a lot better than £4253!
    edited April 2023
    Just phoned Yamaha London to check price and it is correct. They say they are aware that other retailers have it marked at about £1K less. Peach at £3,299 for example as @Whitecat has mentioned.

Info only. Will just have to see how market settles when more people have stock I suspect.
    DavidR said:
    Just phoned Yamaha London to check price and it is correct. They say they are aware that other retailers have it marked at about £1K less. Peach at £3,299 for example as @Whitecat has mentioned.

Info only. Will just have to see how market settles when more people have stock I suspect.
    Wonder if they are actually following the law and keeping it on offer for a few weeks at full price so when they inevitably discount it they can say "WAS" with full impunity.