Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What is this Parlour guitar? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What is this Parlour guitar?

What's Hot
Tomstevens2023Tomstevens2023 Frets: 2
edited April 2023 in Acoustics
Hi everyone. I bought this off a friend at the same time as an Les Paul Standard (he's not  someone who tends to do things by halves) but I have no idea about the heritage. Does anyone know what it is? Any ideas on values?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/198120801@N04/shares/n1919K9522
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• camfcamf Frets: 1175
    No idea. But I like it. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    edited April 2023
    From the general style & that Marquetry inlay it looks European/German, no idea of dates or makers though I'm afraid.
    Not dissimilar (but not the same) as https://coololdguitars.com/products/1800s-german-romantic-flat-top-guitar-with-elaborate-pearl-wood-inlay-luthier-set-up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Tomstevens2023Tomstevens2023 Frets: 2
    edited April 2023
    camf said:
    No idea. But I like it.
    That's what made an expensive purchase even more expensive! 

Kittyfrisk
    said:
    From the general style & that Marquetry inlay it looks European/German, no idea of dates or makers though I'm afraid.
    Not dissimilar (but not the same) as https://coololdguitars.com/products/1800s-german-romantic-flat-top-guitar-with-elaborate-pearl-wood-inlay-luthier-set-up
    Thanks for that, the only other similar guitar (with the star pattern at the bottom) I could find was an old German one (Meinel & Herold were the makers) Anyway, it helps a lot so thanks! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GTCGTC Frets: 241
    It looks like one of the many old German-made Rene Lacote replicas. I would suspect that a new bridge has been fitted at some point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PALPAL Frets: 465
    edited April 2023
    I don't think it is a parlour guitar . It's a classical guitar and what is misleading is the bridge pins but you can but classical
      strings with ball ends. As someone has said the bridge appears to have been changed and the reason may be because
      restringing a classical guitar can be a bit fiddley hence the bridge change to make things easier.
      It may turn out to be a parlour guitar but strung with nylon strings !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    PAL said:
    I don't think it is a parlour guitar . It's a classical guitar and what is misleading is the bridge pins but you can but classical
      strings with ball ends. As someone has said the bridge appears to have been changed and the reason may be because
      restringing a classical guitar can be a bit fiddley hence the bridge change to make things easier.
      It may turn out to be a parlour guitar but strung with nylon strings !
    the nut width looks a little narrow to be classical or flamenco to me,  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    Looks like a 3/4 flamenco guitar? 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Without seeing it in person my guess is that it is probably an early 1900s (maybe up to the late 1920s) guitar made to resemble an early to mid 1800s German "romantic" guitar (eg. Meinel & Herold).  It looks as though the top has been sanded down at some stage because you can see evidence of old stain and rubbed wood fibres around the edges of the bridge.  I think that is the original bridge and that the guitar most likely predates nylon strings (1948) and was intended for gut strings.  There are numerous examples of guitars intended for gut (and later nylon) strings to be anchored into pin type bridges by just tying a knot in the end of the string.  The gears of the tuning heads are pretty worn, which is a reasonable indicator of age.  It's hard to know why somebody has painted matt black on the fretboard side of the nut with the strings in situ.  If this guitar is of the age that it is fashioned, the ebony nut would have been thicker.  Perhaps somebody knocked it out, fitted a thinner one, filled the gap at the fretboard side with something, and slapped on some black paint to disguise it.  There is also a flat-blade woodsdcrew through the peghead face that would tend to indicate a bad repair.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    BillDL said:

It's hard to know why somebody has painted matt black on the fretboard side of the nut with the strings in situ.  If this guitar is of the age that it is fashioned, the ebony nut would have been thicker.  Perhaps somebody knocked it out, fitted a thinner one, filled the gap at the fretboard side with something, and slapped on some black paint to disguise it.
    If that's what I think you're seeing, it's an optical illusion caused by the camera angle - the 'paint' is actually the top surface of the nut, and what looks like the nut is the headstock-side face of it.

Good spot of the screw though, I didn't see that until I zoomed in.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

I really need to go to SpecSavers @ICBM, because I'm still seeing what I thought I was seeing.  It's probably one of those things where my view of it will suddenly change and I thereafter won't be able to see it again as I had been seeing it before.  Strange.

[EDIT]  I see it now.  Very weird perspective not helped by the shadow.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited April 2023
    BillDL said:
    I really need to go to SpecSavers @ICBM, because I'm still seeing what I thought I was seeing.  It's probably one of those things where my view of it will suddenly change and I thereafter won't be able to see it again as I had been seeing it before.  Strange.

[EDIT]  I see it now.  Very weird perspective not helped by the shadow.
    Exactly - I saw it as you did at first, then it suddenly snapped into focus when I zoomed in.

However, I have seen more than one instrument which had been painted black in places - one all over - without taking the strings off, so I wouldn't have been surprised!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• GTCGTC Frets: 241
    The Rene Lacote "Romantic" design has been copied by many makers. It is, in essence, a small bodied classical, usually with a 630mm scale length. The ones more in keeping with the original design do actually have bridge pins despite being nylon strung - but that looks to me like a rather unsympathetic bridge replacement with a standard steel-strung acoustic bridge. It looks like you can see the marks on the top where the original bridge has been removed. It is also not uncommon to see narrower nut widths than usual for a nylon-strung guitar on some old German replicas.
    bridge.jpg 494.7K
  • Thanks everyone, I'll try to upload some more pictures later today now I'm back from holiday. It's all fascinating information though! 
  • bugilemanbugileman Frets: 54
    I'd say european also, it looks great. Hope the neck is good on it....