Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). We've got a Metallica return thread, so maybe we should have a Winger return thread.... - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

We've got a Metallica return thread, so maybe we should have a Winger return thread....

What's Hot
Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
Given the old dartboard feud (look at Lars with all that hair...)

Artist Spotlight Winger  The Avocado

Metallica have just released 72 Seasons....  Winger Seven is on the way next month.  I wasn't crazy about the first track they previewed, but this is great:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    Not bad I prefer Proud Desperado myself ,it’s almost got a hint  if hard edged of heart of the young to it . Back around does have some classic sounding Reb solos on it though & is very good. 
    Awesome band . I actually think I prefer these two to the new Extreme song  even though Nuno is ace 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    On tour with Steel Panther!

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I've listened to "Proud Desperado" a few times and I'm not keen on it.  I guess I have to get over the stupid title/chorus, like "You Are the Saint, I Am the Sinner" all those years ago....

I think they've become better at writing the more sophisticated, almost progressive songs, but the the short sharp rockers aren't as good as they used to be.

Pretty shocking that Winger have to support Steel Panther.  In the US they were supporting Tom Kiefer - not even Cinderella, just the bloody Tom Kiefer band.  :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    ^ Steel Panther can fill 2000 cap venues in the UK, winger couldn’t.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    mrkb said:
    ^ Steel Panther can fill 2000 cap venues in the UK, winger couldn’t.
    I'm not arguing, I'm sure that's the case, but I wish it wasn't so. 
    Maybe I'll try to get a ticket for the London show and leave after the Winger set.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited April 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    Pretty shocking that Winger have to support Steel Panther.  In the US they were supporting Tom Kiefer - not even Cinderella, just the bloody Tom Kiefer band. 
    I know ,that’s when the forum needs a “weeping” button 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    The only reason I’ve ever heard of Winger is the kid with a t-shirt in Beavis & Butthead.
  • westwest Frets: 974
    you know where this is heading ....
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    I remember one of the guitar mags in the 90s had an article on the hairband guitar players, Winger included when the Seattle bands pulled the rug from under them. Beavis and Butthead probably didn’t help either.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    Funnily enough both Tom Keifer band and Kip Winger 's acoustic one man show were two of the best gigs in recent years. There was something so pure rock and roll and talent on display about them. 
    It was so unfair that the rug got pulled so hard from under Winger -they were a great band and their 3rd album (Pull) was a far more mature affair but never really got the chance because of Beavis and Butthead torpedo-ing their career.

Obviously Beech kept himself busy as a sideman  in things like Whitesnake (and even Dokken way back when)

A more recent outing in the band Black Swan seemed very promising alongsode Jeff Pilson and Robin McAuley 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Obviously Beech kept himself busy as a sideman  in things like Whitesnake (and even Dokken way back when)

A more recent outing in the band Black Swan seemed very promising alongsode Jeff Pilson and Robin McAuley 

It's that Frontiers Music thing, isn't it?  Putting together these little "supergroups" and giving them a chance to make an album or two - it's a bit of a production line.  Of course Winger themselves are on Frontiers now.

I always think of Winger as Reb Beach's "proper" band.  He's probably spent more time touring with Whitesnake, but he never seems at his best in that context.  He's amazing in Winger.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Absolutely Top Tier number 1 band  , the first album was amazing  but  in the heart of the young is such a special album  I remember taping it from my vinyl copy and using the repeat function on my tape deck to play rainbow in the rose on repeat , it works great as an Autumn Time album “
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    Fantastic Band and Kip was a great musician and songwriter and one handsome Bastard. Having Reb Beach on Guitar wasn't a bad thing either.

I think Heading for a Heartbreak is one of my faves of theirs.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    Fantastic Band and Kip was a great musician and songwriter and one handsome Bastard. Having Reb Beach on Guitar wasn't a bad thing either.
    I'm a bit worried by your use of the past tense there....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    Philly_Q said:
    I'm a bit worried by your use of the past tense there....
    Ah, yes, I see. It's just me. I like to think things paused in 1989  =)
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    This interview is just great.  I love the guy.