Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD: Kalamazoo KG14 - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD: Kalamazoo KG14

Finally managed to find a nice one. It arrived yesterday and is in wonderful condition. A neck reset is its near future but that is to be expected with these old guitars. Having not played many ladder braced guitars I wasn't getting my hopes up sounds wise. But this guitar is wonderful, really loud and has great fundamentals with a little decoration. The whole guitar really resonates, not surprising as it is feather weight at 1.4kg. 

The FON is 192C does this date it to 1937? With A=1935, B=1936 and C=1937 in the Gibson Fon sequences. 

https://imgur.com/a/Yvuul1U
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Bloody gorgeous...........!!!!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    That looks great and I'd never heard of that bracing before
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Interesting find.

I assume you're well chuffed? Looks really nice. 
    Happy NGD

:) 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited April 2023
    RobertJohnsonTastic (ish)

tres cool,   what's the playability/action/neck  like  ?   

EDIT - ah just read the "reset" comment  :) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    If the back of the headstock is raw wood (looks it), don't let Dr Duck's Axe Wax get on it. It would instantly turn it dark and it's irreversible.

• KDSKDS Frets: 211
    Nice. I tried one in vintage and rare few years ago, nearly bought it, but price put me off
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1513
    That is a beauty.
    little bit of history right there. 

Looks to be in great shape too and once that neck is sorted....bang!

• ChoivertChoivert Frets: 45
    Mellish said:
    Interesting find.

I assume you're well chuffed? Looks really nice. 
    Happy NGD

I really am. It is lovely and was a good deal I think. These little guitars seem to be sky rocketing in price. 

bertie said:
    RobertJohnsonTastic (ish)

tres cool,   what's the playability/action/neck  like  ?   

EDIT - ah just read the "reset" comment  :) 
    The neck relief is surprisingly good. The top has a bit of belly but nothing to be too wary of. The action is 3mm/2.57mm at 12th fret low/high E. This is playable for me but I will likely get a neck reset at some point. I know some people couldn't bear this at all. I've put Newtone heritage strings on it and leaving it tuned down two steps and it really sounds great. I thought the lower tension of D standard would sound meh but I love it. Sounds great tuned up to E standard as well. The previous owner was sporting 12-53 Hex core strings so I think the top may come down a little with some slightly less heavy gauges and the lighter tension of round core. (I think the tension has dropped about 40 lbs with the string change). 

I am going to leave it as is for a while to both let it settle but I may play around with a slide on it (RJ I am not!) and the current setup is perfect for me for a combo of fingerstyle and slide. 
    Mellish said:
    If the back of the headstock is raw wood (looks it), don't let Dr Duck's Axe Wax get on it. It would instantly turn it dark and it's irreversible.

The back of the headstock is finished with nitro with a little wear at the top. Thanks for the tip about Axe Wax. To be totally honest I don't intend to polish/wax it at all. There are enough wear marks that I think could easily get highlighted or darkened with a polish and the current patina is wonderful. All it needed was a little oil on the fretboard and it is perfect aesthetically. 
    That looks great and I'd never heard of that bracing before
    It was a much cheaper way to brace steel string guitars, I think it was originally inspired by a similar bracing for classical guitars, but I may be wrong about this. Although it was cheaper a lot of the old blues players had these guitars and so they are somewhat synonymous with those styles. It was reported (hard to prove) that one of the two guitars that Robert Johnson recorded with was a KG-14. They cost $12.50 when new in the 30s, so have definitely outgrown inflation!