Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD (not NGD day ffs) - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD (not NGD day ffs)

What's Hot
tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
edited April 2023 in Acoustics
So yeah here it is ...

- a lovely Yamaha A3M !!

Having tried many many guitars, (but not this model) I kind of had my heart set on one of these. It was always going to be a toss up between one of these or the LL16 (which I did try - utterly fantastic)

This came up used so I went for it, pretty stoked with it too: all solid construction, solid mahogany back and sides with a spruce top that's had the ARE treatment, lovely ebony fretboard.

It came in just under my original budget too which was a massive plus.

Great big thank you to all the folks on here for giving great advice in this thread - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/245203/best-acoustic-under-1000-updated-price-limit/p1

Also an honourable mention to Sound Affects in Ormskirk, although I eventually bought elsewhere that place was a dream; an Aladdin's cave for a guitar lover and they just let me get on with it. Brilliant.

Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    Congratulations, sir! Now get strumming it :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Congratulations, sir! Now get strumming it :)
    Bill Withers and Oasis so far. I have unfortunately remembered that I can't sing lol
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    Excellent :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    Very nice indeed!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited April 2023
    Well done mate.

Now find the ideal strings and you're sorted  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Mellish said:
    Well done mate.

Now find the ideal strings and you're sorted  
    Oh yeah I was thinking about that. Any recommendations?

What do we think of flatwounds? I'm no jazzer but I like the lack of noise when changing position, or is it better to eliminate that with technique?
    I always recommend D'Addario EJ16 as a starting point. Others to try.....
    Elixir Nanoweb*
    Newtone Masterclass
    DR Sunbeams
    DR Rare
    DR Dragonskins*
    DR Veritas
    D'Addario XT*
    D'Addario XS*
    Martin MA140

*Coated (Veritas may be not sure) 

:) 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Very nice. 
    I've never had an acoustic with a cutaway. I know that not everyone is a fan but they do seem practical. 
    Enjoy!
  • WBT2079WBT2079 Frets: 74
    Yamaha ship this range with Elixir Nanoweb 80/20 bronze lights, I normally use d’addarios but I think my AC3R sounds nicer with the elixirs.
    edited April 2023
    WBT2079 said:
    Yamaha ship this range with Elixir Nanoweb 80/20 bronze lights, I normally use d’addarios but I think my AC3R sounds nicer with the elixirs.
    yeah I'm not sure what's on this as it's second hand but whatever they are they sound great. I'll work through some types until I find something I really like.
  • I like the reddish glow on the paint. I had heard somewhere that these painted guitars improve with use, as the seal of the paint gradually opens up.
    I like the reddish glow on the paint. I had heard somewhere that these painted guitars improve with use, as the seal of the paint gradually opens up.
    Yeah, natural would have been my ideal choice but this has grown on me. It looks a lot nicer than my crappy pic shows; the wooden binding detail is incredible too.
    I'm glad its found someone who likes it.

It's up to you now to find the strings it likes and put it through its paces. 

I was lucky, I had some EJ16 and threw them on this Martin OM28 Re-imagined when I got it and they just happened to be what it likes best.

Mellish said:
    I'm glad its found someone who likes it.

It's up to you now to find the strings it likes and put it through its paces. 

I was lucky, I had some EJ16 and threw them on this Martin OM28 Re-imagined when I got it and they just happened to be what it likes best.

Bit of Slade today, it responded well. We're still getting to know each other.