Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). what do i need to know about resonator guitars? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

what do i need to know about resonator guitars?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    My god this is a reso dick swinger of a thread!!

listen to some slide players and identify the tone you want to aim for

liadz of variations in reso guitars. Different bridges different materials for the bodies some have 3 little cones. 

Find out what version of a resonator guitar the player uses to get your favourite tonezzzz

if yoh can afford to buy a Michael Messer guitar

you will be able to sell it quite easily if you don’t like it and for pretty much the same as you bought it

personally I have owned and played 

Fine resophonic 
    National
    MM
    Regal
    Busker
    Republic
    Beard. Etc etc

in all the variables.  I like spider bridges and tri ones more than biscuit bridges

i prefer brass bodies or wooden bodies for sweeter sounds, 

steel for hard bluesy notes

its pretty wide subject, but, my strong advice to you would be MM is a very good start for guitar and Diamond Bottlenecks is a good place for slides 

good luck

pm me for more info if you like happy to talk over the phone
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KDSKDS Frets: 211
    mgaw said:
    My god this is a reso dick swinger of a thread!!

listen to some slide players and identify the tone you want to aim for

liadz of variations in reso guitars. Different bridges different materials for the bodies some have 3 little cones. 

Find out what version of a resonator guitar the player uses to get your favourite tonezzzz

if yoh can afford to buy a Michael Messer guitar

you will be able to sell it quite easily if you don’t like it and for pretty much the same as you bought it

personally I have owned and played 

Fine resophonic 
    National
    MM
    Regal
    Busker
    Republic
    Beard. Etc etc

in all the variables.  I like spider bridges and tri ones more than biscuit bridges

i prefer brass bodies or wooden bodies for sweeter sounds, 

steel for hard bluesy notes

its pretty wide subject, but, my strong advice to you would be MM is a very good start for guitar and Diamond Bottlenecks is a good place for slides 

good luck

all solid advice here :) Ian is brilliant at Diamond Bottlenecks.... I've a few
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited April 2023
    KDS said:
    mgaw said:

good luck

all solid advice here Ian is brilliant at Diamond Bottlenecks.... I've a few
    yep  -  also try Starsinger  (Glastonbury)  Ive got two or three glazed ceramic ones  - sort of in the middle of metal / glass,  I never got on with brass...........mainly cos Im a pinky player and they're too heavy/dont feel right

Ive also got a short chrome pinky slide that really cuts through on  rocky electric work (think Bad Bad Boy - Nazareth )
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Seriously David, give it up. Every resonator guitar I have ever seen is styled slavishly after the famous models of the 1930s. Every brand, including National. That's just what they are.

The thing here is that you keep confusing National Reso-Phonic (the current company, founded in 1989) with the original 1930s National (a completely different company which died many years ago).

It is nonsensical  to say that Regal are "National copies" when National did not even exist when Regal started making guitars.

If you want to re-phrase your claim to state that Regal copies old 1930s guitars (by companies such as the original (no-relation-at-all) National and the original (not-really-related) Dobro and the original (no-relation-at-all) Regal) and make it clear that you are not claiming that Regal copied National (the here-and-now company) products two years before they were even  made, then sure. I'll agree with you 100%.

Everybody copies those old guitars - National, Regal, Republic,  Epiphone/Dobro, and all the rest of them. It's a shame, we could build much better ones today. Just getting rid of the baseball bat necks and slotted headstocks would be a great start. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter