Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Nashville recommendations - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Nashville recommendations

What's Hot
stufisherstufisher Frets: 612
So, my Covid-scuppered trip to Canada/USA from 2020 is now back on for June this year.

It'll be a road trip for about a fortnight with my bruv, from Toronto - Nashville - Boston ...  via some US Civil War battle sites. Nothing else is sacrasanct so diversions and explorations are very much on the agenda.

I'm not familiar with anywhere in this chunk of the US so I'm looking for recommendations, advice, guidance, ideas from tFB-ers ... particularly for Nashville (e.g. music bars, venues, live gigs/events, guitar shops, best place to stay for a couple of days).

Additionally, any suggestions for stopping points en route would be muchly welcome.

Thanks for your consideration.

Stu

PS My bruv lives in Ontario so Canada - New York state is covered :+1: 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• chrisvchrisv Frets: 550
    edited April 2023
    If you go to one live music bar in Nashville make it Robert's Western World on Broadway but be mindful that it gets very busy on weekend evenings. When it comes to guitars, Gruhn's, Carter Vintage, The Gibson Garage and Rumble Seat are all fun. Third Man Records is well worth a visit, as is the Country Music Hall of Fame. It's a relatively compact city so there are plenty of accommodation options for all budgets that are walkable from the downtown area, but June will likely be extremely hot and humid so bear that in mind. I'd recommend stopping off in Memphis too – Sun Studio and Graceland are worth touring, and the bars on Beale St are a blast. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Ok so in Nashville....
    Carter Vintage
    Gruhns
    Rumbleseat
    Corner Music
    Gibson Garage wasn't there when I went but looks good. 

Third Man is good fun for a visit. 

Eat at Peg Leg Porkers for incredible barbecue, and Hattie B's for hot chicken

For ents, obviously virtually every bar there has music and there's "proper" gigs every night. It's well worth getting inside the Ryman if you possibly can - there's a Grand Ole Opry show there once a week (iirc) that's great for old-time country and some of the best musicianship you'll ever hear, but you should at least go for a daytime tour if nothing else. 

Aside from that, we've done the Blue Ridge Mountains and Great Smokies a couple of times which is headed towards the east coast via DC.  Asheville is lovely and has a couple of great guitar shops and some awesome places to eat.  Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg/Dollywood is well worth it for the kitch but also to get a cabin looking over the smokies for a day or 3 is one of my favourite things to do in the whole world. 

We hit a bunch of other towns between Nashville, Asheville & DC so feel free to ask about any of those - will dig out my old notes :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 612
    Thanks for the insights chaps ... mighty useful :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter