Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I could play that! - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I could play that!

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 4394
edited April 2023 in Acoustics
There is stuff you see which is technically impressive, and there is stuff you really like, and stuff you want to learn for all sorts of different reasons. But this thread is for your top three "I could play that!" tunes. Tunes:

(a) which you absolutely love. Not just good tunes, ones in or near your all-time top-10 
(b) which are arranged for solo acoustic guitar (or which you think you could rearrange yourself)
(c) which you honestly reckon you could play Not necessarily this week and probably not without a sustained effort, but one day. Maybe. And it needn't be exactly none-for-note, just a fair effort.
(d) which you can post a video of. (Preferably on acoustic guitar, but if you love the tune and think you could transpose it from piano, sure, post the piano clip.)

I'm looking for your top two or three.

Songs from virtuoso players like Tommy Emmanuel, Molly Tuttle, Mike Dawes,  Joscho Stephan, or Richard Smith need not apply, at least not for most of us here. (But if you reckon you are good enough, go for it!) I'm talking stuff you genuinely believe is within your reach.

I don't care if your "I could play that" belief is a bit unrealistic. (Pot, kettle, black!)  I'm not going to be calling around to your house with a camera and a microphone checking up on your skills. I just want to know what great songs have a special place in your heart and might just find their way into your fingers one day. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Here is my top 3.

1:

2:

3:

There is no #3 on my list. That's why I started this thread really. I stumbled across that wonderful Adam Rafferty arrangement of  Superstition the other day and instantly wanted to learn it. (But not this week and maybe not this year - it looks bloody tricky!) So alongside the Pink Panther Theme, that made two, and good things come in threes. With any luck, one of you people will suggest the third one. :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    1. THATS THE WAY - LED ZEP
    2. BLACKBIRD - ALTERBRIDGE
    3. NORWEGIAN WOOD - BEATLES
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    Great thread about the playing (despite my own recent obsession with the instrument - of late scalloped Vs non scalloped bracing and watching the Alvarez channel which is super informative). Will have to think on some tunes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
      Will have to think on some tunes...
    you said you were going to lean the Martin Tallstrom version of Foggy Mountain  !!!     ;) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What I've found whenever I've thought "oh, that's a good one, and I'm pretty sure I could manage that" is every time I've looked into it, and had a proper go at it, I've discovered I can't.

And then I find other stuff that I think I might be able to manage and discover that actually, it is within my reach and it just confuses the bejaysuss out of me, because I wind up not knowing what I can and can't play, really.

Frinstance, I can play the main riff to Superstition, but the rest of it? No chance. I can play the main riff to "Blame It On The Boogie", but the rest of it? Oh, actually I can.

And I even learned to play "Blackbird", too, until I tried to sing it as well. Result? Carnage.

See what I mean? All over the bloody place.

I currently don't have anything in particular on my list, because since I discovered singarounds, I've already learned a bunch of stuff that I wanted to learn, and been completely defeated by a bunch of stuff that I mistakenly thought would be possible.

But I need to find some more stuff, just to make it all interesting again, instead of playing the stuff over and over again.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    ^ my 1 would be Foggy Mountain Breakdown.
    2 Norwegian Wood.
    3 I'll need to think about.

:) 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    bertie said:
      Will have to think on some tunes...
    you said you were going to lean the Martin Tallstrom version of Foggy Mountain  !!!     ;) 
    Ssshhhh :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    1. Tales of the Riverbank
    2. The Rain Son
    3. ?

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    so these are ones you want to learn to play,  but cant/dont currently ?  (bit confusing for me, too many words)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • For me its The Duke by Tommy Emmanuel. The Martin's in drop D and I am giving this a serious shot:
    The Duke - YouTube
    I've responded as want to learn to play.

I can play FMB on banjo but not guitar. 

• ChoivertChoivert Frets: 45
    My three (at the moment would be) 

1, police dog blues 
    2, windy and warm 
    3, I'll see you in my dreams 

Police dog blues I am almost there with some practise but I can't run through the whole thing without having to redo. Windy and warm is in my fingers now except the second bridge which I am having issues with. I'll see you in my dreams is currently perplexing me entirely but I think I can get it. 

The three techniques I would love to have: 
    1, playing with a thumb pick 
    2, rhythmic thumb slap while playing 
    3, totally independent Travis picking 

I just revisited the thumb pick work, I do love the tone (on some songs) and I am making progress with a cut down slick pick. I can not for the life of me work out how to slap and pluck bass or treble at the same time. I can get a slap in if no notes but not if there are also strings to play. My Travis picking has improved massively but I still have to actively think about both the bass and the treble. I've heard some don't have to think about the bass and just play whatever travel they fancy. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    @Tannin  - wow, love your Pink Panther rendition,  I wouldn’t mind a go at that, is there sheet music / tab available for that ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    edited April 2023
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    @TanninThat Pink Panther theme - it always makes me smile. But well played, Sir. A Maton I assume?

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    That Pink Panther arrangement looks fun! Some interesting shapes and movements coupled with that steady bass. A winner for sure.

I've always fancied Weds Morning 3am, seems emminently doable, but I've never tried.

Minor Swing

I'd quite like The Girl From Ipanema

Happy Go Lucky Me (George Formby version)

See you in my Dreams would be good as well.

Happy to put links but I'm in a bit of a dead spot in the house, so video is unreliable.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    edited April 2023

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Ok, so in terms of stuff I can actually play, recent favourites: 

1. Abacus - Fionn Regan (lovely bit of DADGAD and a great song)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgJMoySCfL8

2. Re: Stacks - Bon Iver (lovely bit of open D and a great song) 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhDnyPsQsB0

And in terms of stuff that I can't play right through but can do bits of and definitely could if I really put in some focussed work - and one day I will...

Ocean - Jon Butler (electrified 11-string in CGCGCE + capo4)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdYJf_ybyVo

Cascade - David Grier (standard tuning woo!)  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73iCI__64TU
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733

sev112 said:
    @Tannin  - wow, love your Pink Panther rendition,  I wouldn’t mind a go at that, is there sheet music / tab available for that ?
    Hoolie doolie, that's not me! It's a chap named Guido Mancino He has tab and sheet music available at this link https://www.guidomancino.com/c15/ It's e15. I may or may not buy it. I suck at reading tab and haven't read sheet music since I gave up piano in the 1960s. I usually learn stuff by ear. Or to be honest, I usually start learning something by ear, get a couple of bars in and discover something interesting (a new chord, say), start playing around with that, and forget whatever it was I set out to do. 

Mellish said:
    @TanninThat Pink Panther theme - it always makes me smile. But well played, Sir. A Maton I assume?

It's still not me in the video!  Yes, a great tune. The other week after a couple of ales a few of us started talking about what songs we would want played at our funerals. My choice made itself - the Pink Panther Theme :)

The guitar looks like a Martin to me @Mellish, sounds like one too. A D-18 would be my guess, it's got that piano-like crispness on the bass notes that maple and mahogany can provide.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @Tannin ; could be a D-18. Been trying to look for clues in the video. 

Hard to be sure. Nice guitar, though, but then all Martins are. 

I'll never part with the one I've got but you've heard that before ;) 

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    Tannin said:
    sev112 said:
    Hoolie doolie, that's not me! It's a chap named Guido Mancino He has tab and sheet music available at this link https://www.guidomancino.com/c15/ It's e15. I may or may not buy it. I suck at reading tab and haven't read sheet music since I gave up piano in the 1960s. I usually learn stuff by ear. Or to be honest, I usually start learning something by ear, get a couple of bars in and discover something interesting (a new chord, say), start playing around with that, and forget whatever it was I set out to do. 

Mellish said:
    @Tannin ; That Pink Panther theme - it always makes me smile. But well played, Sir. A Maton I assume?

It's still not me in the video!  Yes, a great tune. The other week after a couple of ales a few of us started talking about what songs we would want played at our funerals. My choice made itself - the Pink Panther Theme :)

The guitar looks like a Martin to me @Mellish, sounds like one too. A D-18 would be my guess, it's got that piano-like crispness on the bass notes that maple and mahogany can provide.
    The guitar is certainly based upon a Martin, but I don't think it is one.

The inlays, white body binding, herringbone purfling, and dark (rosewood?) back and sides say HD-28, but the fingerboard and bridge resemble rosewood more than ebony.
    @BigPaulie ; an HD-28 would have a tort guard and I think that one is plain black, isn't it?

Damn rabbit holes!

Yep, it's not a Martin. On his YT channel he plays three guitars, mostly that mystery one, but also two others which are easily recognised: on is a Lava travel guitar, the other a Maton Nashville. We never see the headstock of the mystery guitar, either it is out of frame or else he has a tuner obscuring the logo. But I did find a picture of the back of the headstock, which has a peculiar and quite distinctive look, nothing like a Martin. 

I'm sticking with mahogany as the back and sides timber. It just doesn't sound like rosewood to my ear.
  • This one I’m close need to nail
    https://youtu.be/Py80QMnRFhg 

Since it came out been meaning to get this riff nailed

https://youtu.be/AS1bvFmwtsA

This one always been an I want to play like this , but never actually got round to even looking at it

https://youtu.be/1KN2qvtosmM
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk

• This one always been an I want to play like this , but never actually got round to even looking at it

https://youtu.be/1KN2qvtosmM
    I'm pretty sure I have the tab for that in an old Guitar Techniques acoustic special buried away somewhere - want me to look it out for you?
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    (Sorry for the off-topic question - how do those self-rolling You-tube links work?) 
    @Tannin - I think it may be the "embed" function when posting rather than putting the link straight into the text - I seem to have managed it once but not quite sure how!
    edited April 2023
    GoFish said:
     I seem to have managed it once but not quite sure how!

^ Ahh, thanks.

So it's like sex. You just wake up and think "Well, that was nice. I wonder what happened?"
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    GoFish said:
    @Tannin - I think it may be the "embed" function when posting rather than putting the link straight into the text - I seem to have managed it once but not quite sure how!
    It's automatic if you post more than one video I think - it shrinks them up to make reading easier
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires