Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). GT-1000 repair? Anyone help with an idea of cost? - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

GT-1000 repair? Anyone help with an idea of cost?

What's Hot
TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4501
edited April 2023 in Digital & Modelling
My recently-purchased (5 weeks to me) second hand GT-1000 has developed a fault.  It's not under warranty and I'm not planning on chasing the seller. I'm going to get it fixed, but wondering how much it might cost. 

The fault is in the main outputs and headphones output. Yesterday, it powered up but there was almost no volume coming from it. I can turn the output knob and hear it go from zero to still-almost-inaudible. The sub outs are fine - so I can still use it, but... FWIW, the sub outs are via XLRs that are on a different board and the output levels are controlled by a rotary encoder, whereas the main output volume is an analogue pot. 

My suspicion is the amp that generates the output signal or the output volume pot has an issue. I opened it up to have a peek. The jack sockets on the unit are all connected to a single board. I'm wondering how expensive a fix might be if the board needs replacing. Anyone got any idea?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Modern gear is a nightmare to get repaired, back to manufacture/distributor usually…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    It could be the pot itself, in which case it should be feasible to replace it, although working on this type of PCB can still be tricky. If it's not and it's something in the electronics, it's probably all surface-mount parts, which means that old-school techs won't want to even look at it - but if it's the analogue output section where the problem is, it's probably fixable by someone with the right tools and skills. If anyone can do it, @Danny1969 probably can - or at least say whether it is likely to be repairable.

Roland UK are not especially helpful in my experience, so I would probably start with someone independent anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4501
    Not got the unit back yet, but the fix was (they say) to the global output settings for the main outputs. Nothing wrong with the hardware. Which is odd, because it was working fine when I shut it down on Fri evening and not working when I started it on Sat morning. No prize for guessing that I did not adjust anything. I'll quiz the tech more thoroughly tomorrow - he'd gone home today before I could speak to him. 

More worrying was we had a band practice today. We practice in a house, everyone connected to the PA (which is why I got the GTk. So today I took my Fly Rig v2. I preferred it. Here I go again….