Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). neck or bridge - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

neck or bridge

What's Hot
which is your 'go to' pickup most of the time when playing electric guitar finger style , particularly slide. I was thinking that a number of slide players tend to default to the bridge pickup whereas I generally prefer the neck, more about the comfort of my hand position than sound I think? what is the wisdom of the 'Board?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    For me…

Strat - the middle pickup; the one people forget to use but IMHO has the fullest most open sound.

Tele - both together.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PALPAL Frets: 465
    I use what ever sounds better at the time. I have found using a guitar with one pickup solves this !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 293
    PAL said:
    I use what ever sounds better at the time. I have found using a guitar with one pickup solves this !
    but is the pickup in the neck or bridge position?  :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FezFez Frets: 472
    Neck pick ups are just for decoration. 
    OK I'm joking but I don't use them much on HH guitars. The neck pick up on SSS strats has its uses.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    Usually neck or middle, I find bridge pickups too shrill on their own.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    Start on neck, finish on bridge. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Neck - or neck and middle.  Bridge has no depth of tone.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 724
    Both pups together mainly.

I also use a guitar with just a bridge pup, but with a lot of EQ to get the sound how I like it.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    Emp_Fab said:
    Neck - or neck and middle.  Bridge has no depth of tone.

I use the bridge pickup kind of like a treble booster. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I don't play slide much but I reckon I'm pretty equal across pickup options whether I'm on a Strat or something with neck & bridge. 

Middle selection on double-humbuckers is very nice. I doubt I use it more than 1/3 of the time but I reckon I use it more than most folks.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires