Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Classical for bossa/jazz - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Classical for bossa/jazz

What's Hot
susbemolsusbemol Frets: 339
I'm interested in getting a classical guitar for bossa and other general jazzy stuff. Would you guys mind sharing any pointers?

I'm thinking it would ideally be all-solid woods and, although I'd prefer one that could also be plugged in, it could be purely acoustic as well. Finally, I'd like something that plays nicely but this obviously can be adjusted to a certain extent.

I'm more likely to buy second-hand and I'm considering a budget of up to £700 (or a trade for a Fender Telecaster).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    The last time I saw anyone doing that style was on a cruise ship about 10 years ago.  There was a guy from the house band who did an early evening set of bossa-style jazz most nights.

He had a Crafter nylon-strung with a cutaway (no idea what model number), which sounded perfect for the gig.  I had a chat with him and he let me have a play of it - it was a good hybrid of flat fingerboard but not-too-wide neck, very enjoyable to play.

All of which is to say, look out for a second-hand Crafter!  :) 

(They used to be imported by Sheehan's of Leicester, but... )

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    I have had similar notions from time to time, and been given lots of (presumably) good advice and always ended up doing nothing after all. One day ...

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 270
    edited April 2023
    I find the flat and wide string spread of a classical guitar more of a challenge than the curved fretboard of other guitars. As @Nitefly suggests, I too have been looking at Crafter nylon string guitars; I think his suggestion is worth investigating.
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 339
    I don't mind the flat and wide necks in classical guitars, I grew up playing them alongside electric so it's no issue at all for me.

I'm looking for suggestions for specific brands/models that might be worth checking out within my budget.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Look out for a Yamaha Silent (Nylon).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Nah, I'd like an instrument with a real acoustic body.
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 665
    I'd probably look at brands like Yamaha and Cordoba, which make a lot of guitars at various prices but are generally pretty well regarded. Also good value second hand in my experience are guitars by Antonio Picardo and Juan Hernandez which are smaller companies. 
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 665
    Although those suggestions are for classical generally, I'm not sure if there's anything which would be more specific for bossa/jazz styles. 
  • JonnyBgoodeJonnyBgoode Frets: 100
    edited April 2023
    susbemol said:
    I'm interested in getting a classical guitar for bossa and other general jazzy stuff. Would you guys mind sharing any pointers?

I'm thinking it would ideally be all-solid woods and, although I'd prefer one that could also be plugged in, it could be purely acoustic as well. Finally, I'd like something that plays nicely but this obviously can be adjusted to a certain extent.

OK my background is classical & flamenco/rumba, but I did the occasional bossa number (Jobim stuff mainly) and some more jazzy fusion shred stuff (Al Di Meola etc). My recommendation is going to be a cutaway flamenco model with pickup system, something like the Cordoba GK studio (I've owned 2).  You'd get a truss rod - so more scope to adjust than standard classical, plus flamenco guitars are built differently to allow a lower action than a classical, giving you more room there to adjust too.

Flamencos have a faster response and the lower action is going to make slick jazzy runs a little easier, also  standard classicals can often lack the clarity in big bass heavy chords and bit a little too mushy for this sort of style. The cutaway will help enormously with access at the top end of the fretboard.

There's a few nice makes at around the 600-700  quid mark, Camps springs to mind. If you want an built pickup system for convenience (after market solutions are IMO better for sound quality) then go for a system with a blend of sources (eg mic + piezo UST) as a piezo undersaddle pickup sounds pretty bad by itself on a nylon.  There are preamps and various things that can tame this but that's another conversation.

These are the droids you are looking for:
    https://www.guitarfromspain.com/en/40-cutaway-flamenco-guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thanks for that. That model only has a solid top but I know that doesn't tell the whole story.

Mak's is fairly easy to get to so I might pop around to check the Cordobas in person.
    susbemol said:
    Thanks for that. That model only has a solid top but I know that doesn't tell the whole story.

There's a GK Pro (all solid and better pickup system) for sale in the classifieds...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 837
    I have very little to add, other than Nelson Veras plays a Godin from the looks of it, and he sounds great

I've seen Nelson live a couple of times and he always played a full size acoustic, not a Godin.

But yeah, I'm sure he will sound great playing any instrument... the man is absolutely incredible!
    I do like the playability of the Godin but I'm not so keen on their sound.
    susbemol said:

There's a GK Pro (all solid and better pickup system) for sale in the classifieds...
    I saw that but sadly it is quite a bit above my budget.
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 837
    susbemol said:
    I do like the playability of the Godin but I'm not so keen on their sound.
    Agreed. I've seen a few bossa players using the Yamaha silent ones too, but I've never been keen on the sound by itself. Does seem to sit in a band mix pretty well though. I guess that's what Veras is doing, when he's been with a full band I've seen him on the Godin, in duo, full sized acoustic like you say.
    susbemol said:
    susbemol said:

I saw that but sadly it is quite a bit above my budget.
    A mate of mine is selling a Camps flamenco cutaway with pickup system for £599, really nice and better than the GK studio. I can't recall which model and I'd have to ask him. It will be one he's gigged with me, excellent setup.

He's in Cornwall though, which is miles away for most people (if you wanted to try it)  - If you are interested let me know and I'll find out more/put you in touch.
    A mate of mine is selling a Camps flamenco cutaway with pickup system for £599, really nice and better than the GK studio. I can't recall which model and I'd have to ask him. It will be one he's gigged with me, excellent setup.

He's in Cornwall though, which is miles away for most people (if you wanted to try it)  - If you are interested let me know and I'll find out more/put you in touch.
    Yes, I'd be interested to find out more. I have sent you a PM.