Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). improvisation for a numpty - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

improvisation for a numpty

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Improvisation isn’t something you learn from a book. In the days before loopers and cassette recorders I used to play chords for one or two bars, improvise for one or two bars, rinse and repeat. The benefit of this method is that you automatically solo around the notes in the chords, rather than notes in and around the pentatonic. Any other notes, whether scalar or not, become transition notes between chord notes. Then after a while you realise that the transition notes are actually the notes which give your solo interest, and the chord notes are the safe ones which you resolve to at the end of a phrase. You are forced to keep phrases short, rather wandering up and down scales. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    viz said:
    ^ I don’t think you need to know any theory whatsoever!
    The purpose of theory is to explain what you’ve just played. It can’t tell you what to play next.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Roland said:
    viz said:
    The purpose of theory is to explain what you’ve just played. It can’t tell you what to play next.

Well I wouldn’t go that far, it can be very helpful, but you don’t need it to improvise. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 878
    My top tip is to try and copy the vocalist whenever you play along to records. Why? because you will be learning the skill of translating a melody in your head to the guitar. Instead of just vomiting out scales and patterns from muscle memory, that sound right, but have no thought or emotion behind them.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Roland said:
    viz said:
    My take is that it can give you plenty of hints for what you could play next, but it can't tell you which will be interesting, build tension, or make someone feel something. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Yep it’s objective. That stuff you mentioned is subjective. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 2999
    Play along to songs, and stop telling yourself negatives, you arnt bloody aweful, you are a person trying their best and doing a lot better than you did before you started to play. It takes time and practice but above all just love what you do , putting mental barriers up will only slow you down.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robgilmo said:
    Play along to songs, and stop telling yourself negatives, you arnt bloody aweful, you are a person trying their best and doing a lot better than you did before you started to play. It takes time and practice but above all just love what you do , putting mental barriers up will only slow you down.
    Well said Sir. 
    I absolutely realise I will never amount to anything musically but I love just picking up a guitar and trying to make pleasant-ish or familiar sounds with it. The ultimate de-stresser.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • We can all listen and hear music, then with practice, we can train our ears to decipher what we are hearing and be able to play it. That is the main skill of an improvising musician.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."