Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). RIP Ian Bairnson (Pilot) - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

RIP Ian Bairnson (Pilot)

What's Hot
KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
edited April 2023 in Tributes
Wonderful and melodic player has lost his fight with Alzheimers.

From his work with Pilot to the first 2 Kate Bush albums and the wonderful body of work with The Alan Parsons Project and even some Bucks Fizz stuff. The solo you hear at the end of Wuthering Heights is Ian NOT Dave Gilmour.

Those who knew of his playing knew that he should've received more widespread recognition and this is a sad one for me as I chatted to him on and off a few years ago and he was a lovely chap who couldn't understand why Guitarist magazine wouldn't interview him
R.I.P and go listen to some APP
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    Oh no , loved Pilot  ,can’t believe it , that white twin neck he played, was only watching a clip the other day . RIP 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 230
    That's very sad to hear, truly excellent player who certain magazines missed out on IMHO.  Used to demo Mesa Boogie amps too

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Yes, a very good and under-appreciated player.

I was just reading up on him and, like Brian May he used a six pence instead of a plec. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    Pilot were a GREAT band and his Kate work was excellent too. A fine player and a ..........SCOT  :) to boot
    tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KDSKDS Frets: 211
    Solo in Wuthering Heights is brilliant
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    For some reason I thought he played on War of the Worlds as well?

one of my favourite guitarists, rip
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Intro to "Magic" - gorgeous. RIP. 
  • Pilot were the first band I ever saw live. I went to see Sparks at the Glasgow Apollo in 1974 or 5, and Pilot supported them.

I'd enjoyed 'Magic' and 'January' and I really enjoyed them. They're pretty much the only support band I remember having seen.

Sad to hear of Ian's passing.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    A great player. Sad news.
    It's not a competition.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    That's so sad to hear. I was reminded just the other day what a fine player he was when I saw Pilot on an old TOTPs episode .
    As a young teenage starting out on guitar, seeing him play those wonderful melodic solos on that beautiful white double neck Gibson was so inspiring. His playing truly elevated the band to another level.
    Rest in peace Ian.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 612
    Always rated IB very highly since I first listened to the Alan Parson's Project around 1980-ish (Turn of a friendly card). I still play Sirius, Snake Eyes, TOAFC now ... love that sound/tone.

I don't know of any other successful and widely-regarded Shetlander session musicians ... I'm planning a campervan adventure in the Northern isles later this year or for the Shetland Folk Festival April/May 2024 ... I'm sure there'll be some sort of IB tribute or commemorative thing to see in Lerwick. Probably will be mentioned in this year's folk festival as it kicks off at the end of April.

APP night tonight ... RIP  Ian.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3532
    edited April 2023
    Just stumbled upon a YouTube video called Pilot - super pop 28-08-76
    the band live and after the shaky first hit rendition Ian’s guitar playing really shines as classy and tasteful, I’d not see this before but if you wander what all the fuss is about this shows you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsQCQWvx_5w&pp=ygUXcGlsb3Qgc3VwZXJwb3AgMjgtMDgtNzY%3D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    That's very sad to hear, truly excellent player who certain magazines missed out on IMHO.  Used to demo Mesa Boogie amps too

Wow, a bit of Weather report brilliantly arranged
    very skillful playing there
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    ESBlonde said:
    Just stumbled upon a YouTube video called Pilot - super pop 28-08-76
    the band live and after the shaky first hit rendition Ian’s guitar playing really shines as classy and tasteful, I’d not see this before but if you wander what all the fuss is about this shows you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsQCQWvx_5w&pp=ygUXcGlsb3Qgc3VwZXJwb3AgMjgtMDgtNzY%3D
    God, people were so much skinnier in the '70s!  The rendition of January at the end there is really quite bizarre.  Lots of nice playing from Bairnson though.