Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Anyone else just in awe of what a multi-FX unit can do? - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Anyone else just in awe of what a multi-FX unit can do?

What's Hot
I'm having one of those moments where I'm messing around with my old GT-001 (desktop GT-100) & I'm like... This is a bit bloody brilliant, isn't it? The idea of having dozens of effects & usable amp tones in one place is so fun, & while it's never going to sound exactly like the real thing to some people, the newer units sure do get close.

I still remember borrowing a bean POD in the early/mid 00s & absolutely loving it so I know it's hardly new tech by any means, but for some reason, I just had to share my renewed excitement for cheap & enjoyable tech. No real point to the thread other than "isn't this shit really cool when you think about it?!"

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Yup.

Also being able to easily change the order of things. And assign weird controllers to things that shouldn't be controlled.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I think it's a disgrace. Down with this sort of thing. Ban everything clever. 
    Dickie's 90-Second Pedal Demos: youtube.com/c/Dickies90SecondPedalDemos /// guitar.com reviews: guitar.com/author/richard-purvis/
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I wouldn't say I'm "in awe". But I do think they're neat :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Beware….this is a highly addictive thing to get into….soon you will be hopelessly unable to control your desire for more and better effects at ever increasing cost until finally your brain will explode along with your bank account …..

I know, I am that addict !!!
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1287
    Beware….this is a highly addictive thing to get into….soon you will be hopelessly unable to control your desire for more and better effects at ever increasing cost until finally your brain will explode along with your bank account …..

I know, I am that addict !!!

Haha, thankfully the cheap & cheerful multi-effects world has stopped me from dropping back into the world of buying stupidly expensive boutique/collectors pedals. It's crazy to think I could get a second hand Helix LT for the same price I sold a single delay pedal for back then :o

(Though I am waiting for the GT-1000 successor - I know it's a huge jump over what I have already, but 5 years after launch, I'm waiting for the follow-up. Will have gone GT-8 > GT-100 > GT-2000(?) so skipped a gen each time).
  • You are addicted !…..admit it !!!
    edited April 2023
    Also being able to go from "this might be nice with a bit of phaser" to "this is nice with a bit of phaser" in mere seconds. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    The little GT-1 really is an amazing bit of kit, considering what it packs into a unit which literally fits in a gig bag pocket and costs under £200 new. OK, the limitation of this is that the user interface isn't the most intuitive or easy to tweak on the fly under gig or even rehearsal conditions - I've re-configured mine so two of the knobs control the most important functions you may have to quickly adjust at a gig, overall volume and overdrive/distortion volume. I've essentially programmed it so it works very like my ME-50, which is pretty much my benchmark for an easy-to-use FX unit.

The old ME-50 still constantly amazes me with how good it sounds too - it's not "nearly as good as analogue pedals but more convenient", it genuinely sounds *as good or better than analogue pedals* for most of its sounds... even the overdrives and distortions (except for the octave fuzz), the octaver which is 'too good' and doesn't have the fat glitchiness of a real OC-2, and the 'analogue' delay which is also too good and doesn't have the lo-fi character and self-oscillation of the DM-2. I spent ages properly comparing it to my analogue pedals using a loop-switcher... then sold almost all the separate pedals.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sporky said:
    Also being able to go from "this might be nice with a bit of phaser" to "this is ice with a bit of phaser" in mere seconds. 

Not getting stuck in the cupboard looking for that stupid 3.5mm adaptor for the Small Stone always brightens up my day. Loved that pedal but it was an arseache to swap it in and out.
    ICBM said 
    The little GT-1 really is an amazing bit of kit, considering what it packs into a unit which literally fits in a gig bag pocket and costs under £200 new. OK, the limitation of this is that the user interface isn't the most intuitive or easy to tweak on the fly under gig or even rehearsal conditions - I've re-configured mine so two of the knobs control the most important functions you may have to quickly adjust at a gig, overall volume and overdrive/distortion volume. I've essentially programmed it so it works very like my ME-50, which is pretty much my benchmark for an easy-to-use FX unit.

The old ME-50 still constantly amazes me with how good it sounds too - it's not "nearly as good as analogue pedals but more convenient", it genuinely sounds *as good or better than analogue pedals* for most of its sounds... even the overdrives and distortions (except for the octave fuzz), the octaver which is 'too good' and doesn't have the fat glitchiness of a real OC-2, and the 'analogue' delay which is also too good and doesn't have the lo-fi character and self-oscillation of the DM-2. I spent ages properly comparing it to my analogue pedals using a loop-switcher... then sold almost all the separate pedals.

I did pick up another ME-50 based off of your recommendation & I agree wholeheartedly that it's a fantastic sounding unit. Some of the low gain drive tones especially stood out, though I wasn't a fan of the muff tones - I think that's the one pedal I'm closest to that I'm yet to hear a multi-FX unit really nail. The ME-50 realy is a class bit of kit, but I ended up moving it on since I don't play with other people, so the convenience of my little desk setup & the 001 just outweighed it. If I ever did grow out of my near 20 year bedroom guitarist phase, I'd almost certainly pick another one up - third times a charm n all that ;)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I'm still in awe of magnetism and electricity.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Sporky said:
    Also being able to go from "this might be nice with a bit of phaser" to "this is nice with a bit of phaser" in mere seconds. 
    I like the new-fangled "this might be nice with 4 different modulations all in time with each other" 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 593
    I picked up an FM3 towards the end of last year and the level of customisation you can do is phenomenal - even on the effects side of things.
    By adding filters or adsr controllers, the stuff you can do is only limited by your imagination and means you can do things that would be virtually impossible with conventional pedals.
    Definitely a fan.
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 837
    I'm a hardened committed stompbox fan, I've recently started questioning myself ad I've bought a Zoom MS-70CDR which I've been enjoying immensely, partly to enable me to take a smaller board out for certain gigs. Really impressed with the sounds and convenience and I'm scared it might lead to a bigger multifx like a HX Stomp or similar. Not yet though...
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    Agree. But wait until you see what things like Beebo can do! It really is a new era. 
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Sassafras said:
    Totally the correct attitude to have.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    ICBM said:

There's only two things I don't like about the me-50. 

The first is one of yours - the analogue delay isn't lo-fi enough. The second is that I really, really want a second drive slot. 

I'm long overdue a clear out, i think I'm going to shift some stuff and buy a gx-100. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Sassafras said:
    Sorcery.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    UnclePsychosis said:

The second is that I really, really want a second drive slot.
    I'd like that too, but I normally just add my DF-2 or OS-2 in front. It would be slightly more convenient to have it all in one box, but I can live with it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    I love my GT-100

I don't tend to use the preamps but i use it in 4cm with my amp so I can use it to change multiple FX at the same time. For example going from a pre-amp sculpted EQ cut to turn gain into crunch to an OD driven full gain lead tone with louder and longer delay and FX loop mid hump EQ boost from a single button press is so handy, especially when singing. I know it's possible to set that up with a switcher on a traditional pedal board but the multi FX is so much smaller, lighter and cheaper

And then there's the ability to put a whole set into song specific patches so you can use the same two buttons with vastly different assigns if needed. So handy
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    I’m with you on this one - the power of modern modellers is matched only by their fun factor. To have more amps and fx than you could ever afford or have space for in one convenient unit is incredible. Years ago I had a zoom thing then via various line6 and boss units and now to a Helix which feels and sounds just like a real amp. 
    It’s a great time to be a musician

And then there's the ability to put a whole set into song specific patches so you can use the same two buttons with vastly different assigns if needed. So handy
    I used to do that with my old Boss SE-70 - I'll eventually get around to doing it with the GT-1 if I start playing in a gigging guitar band again. It gave me the ability to save what was essentially a different pedalboard for each song - named on the LCD display so it's foolproof - and have the left footswitch be the 'loud button' (for solos) and the right one be the 'effect button' (usually for choruses or middle 8s), but often with totally different types of 'loud' or 'effect', plus an expression pedal to control one selected parameter, again not necessarily the same for each song. Simple and totally intuitive for gigs.

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    I absolutely marvelled at the various multi FX I tried, but they were just not right for me. Too many hours down the drain trying to find tones. Although thanks to them I now know what effects and amps I like. I am way too simple; a multi is just wasted on me. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    No.

Well ok they are amazing, but the downside (for me) is too many options. From experience I’m much happier with a few pedals where the controls tell me exactly what’s happening - that’s what works for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    ICBM said:

I used to do that with my old Boss SE-70 - I'll eventually get around to doing it with the GT-1 if I start playing in a gigging guitar band again. It gave me the ability to save what was essentially a different pedalboard for each song - named on the LCD display so it's foolproof - and have the left footswitch be the 'loud button' (for solos) and the right one be the 'effect button' (usually for choruses or middle 8s), but often with totally different types of 'loud' or 'effect', plus an expression pedal to control one selected parameter, again not necessarily the same for each song. Simple and totally intuitive for gigs.
    I mainly use the blue and red buttons these days but at one point I assigned the expression pedal to momentarily turn on all the loud stuff when fully depressed then turn it back of when it's upright. All you need to do is stomp on the exp pedal and it's full solo mode. No need to worry about catching a wrong button to the side of it.

I stopped using it when a few songs called for wah and the different switching got confusing but I might go back to it as I'm not wah-ing these days. If only the exp button allowed multiple assigns on the GT-100 for the wah scenario... Alas... I suppose I should read up on the GX-100 to see if that's possible...
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    I have a Line 6 Pod Go that's a super MFX & great fun but even though it's not as complex as a Helix, it's not a 'plug 'n play' unit and there's a lot to learn with it. But there are too many options, too many menus and too much fiddling time with amp, cab, mic settings, IR's, and a ton of FX with umpteen parameters.  I really only bought it initially to play through headphones during the pandemic and I wanted a compact, light weight unit with a small footprint - I really wasn't bothered about dual routing & I don't need complex FX chains.  So it suited me perfectly and updates have brought functionality improvements as well as extra models.  But frankly, I'm not interested in yet more models - there are too many now that are just minor variations on a theme.  I've used it for auditions & it's been great straight through the PA. But I'm not sure I'd trust it to gig with - the PSU is just awful with an awkward wall wart and a short thin cable that is absolutely not gig worthy.

For gigging I want something that sounds & feels good, is really easy to use with real knobs, dials & switches, that can be tweaked in an instant, and with no DSP issues.  Which is why my gigging rig is still my Vox Tonelab SE and LE units that are built like tanks with heavy duty non-wall wart PSU's that have a mid-cable transformer and on/off switch too. The TLSE has 2 expression pedals and A/B switching that lets you have a different amp and/or cab model in the same patch - brilliant for gigging. And they have patch naming, no-lag patch switching, & MIDI capability.  But even these old tech units from 2004 and 2007 respectively are MFX wonders - the 'valvereactor' design that uses a 12AX7 tube as a power tube was just way ahead of its time.   
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 202
    This ME50 thing ... are the ME70 and ME80 even better?
  • DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 162
    Agree with Yorkie & Keefy above. As a noob to effects I bought Katana 2-100 & later a GT1 before I realised that I needed to know how different effects work. I fired up Tone Studio a couple of times but hadn’t a clue what to change & the penny dropped that I’d spend more time twiddling settings than playing

I’ve now built a basic pedal board & am serving my tone apprenticeship which I wish I’d done in the first place

i do use the GT1 loaded with a bunch of Studio Rats patches which gives some great tones but someone else did the work. It’s a great option for a stealth pedalboard in the living room

I can absolutely see their benefits for gigging, recording & home noodlers who have time & knowledge to get the right sound 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    ICBM said:

My favoured 'layout' for the Helix is to set up two amp paths, rythm and lead, then use the expresion pedal to bring in the second path.  Far easier to hit the nice big expression pedal in the heat of battle, especially if you're also handling backing vocals.

edited April 2023
    Sporky said:
    I like the new-fangled "this might be nice with 4 different modulations all in time with each other" 
    Or all at slightly different speeds. Depth low just to have some movement, or up high to make the audience feel ill. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter