Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Guitars and sun - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Guitars and sun

What's Hot
Is my Eastman mahogany okay hanging here? Now the sun is higher in the sky I’m wondering if it’s not a good spot.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Not a good spot. First you have the light (which is not good for wooden things).

Second you have the uneven heating as the sunlight warms parts of the guitar but not other parts. Nasty.

Third, you have it close to a window, which implies fairly rapid temperature changes. 

Sitting in the sun to play it is fine, but when you aren't playing, put it away somewhere more temperature-stable. (Some people say keep it in a case, but to hell with that. That are made for playing. And admiring. Just don't put it near the window or the kitchen or the heater outlet. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CharlieShawCharlieShaw Frets: 347
    Ok I’ve taken it down from there. I thought it might be okay when I put it up in winter as the wall is angled away from the window. Never thought of temperature fluctuations though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    No worries. It should be fine to put there for ah hour or three when the weather is suitable. (And it looks very nice there.)

I often put mine on a stand outside on the deck for half a day, weather permitting. (Of course I make very sure that I remember to take it inside before sunset.)

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    Is my Eastman mahogany okay hanging here? Now the sun is higher in the sky I’m wondering if it’s not a good spot.

Nice view of the hills in the background there. The Dales or Pennines I assume?
  • CharlieShawCharlieShaw Frets: 347

Yes we’re in the Holme Valley in the Pennines, near the Peak District 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Philodendron, Monstera etc. should keep the humidity at a reasonable level, regardless of the rays  ;)
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397

Yes we’re in the Holme Valley in the Pennines, near the Peak District 
    Nice.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    How about the next wall over, above the TV?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong