Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Blackwood - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Blackwood

What's Hot
bertiebertie Frets: 12145
edited April 2023 in Acoustics
see its not just me or us in the UK

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
 just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Bertie, "Tasmanian Blackwood" can be correct if (and only if) the Blackwood happens to have been grown in Tasmania  - exactly as "Devonian cherry" could describe a cherry grown in Devon . Most Blackwood is not Tasmanian and not even  close - we are talking more than 600 kilometres from Tasmania (think London to Berlin sort of distance). It grows in five different states and is commercially harvested in three. Most Blackwood is in fact Victorian Blackwood. 

I have no idea what on earth they think they are doing when they list Malaysian Blackwood (a type of ebony) under a picture of Australian Blackwood (a completely unrelated acacia). They have nothing in common and don't even look similar, let alone sound similar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited April 2023
    that wasnt your original gripe,   you originally said "theres no such thing as Tasmanian Blackwood, its just known as Blackwood as all Blackwood comes from Tasmania"

Patently it doesnt,  and there arent many more respected guitar makers than Froggy Bottom,   and what they're doing is listing the two types they offer,  under a single image
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I said no such thing, nor would anyone else who had even a vague clue about it.

There are certainly not "two types of blackwood" on offer here, there are two entirely different, unrelated timbers. The only thing they have in common is that they happen have the word "blackwood" in their names. You might as well pretend that Keith Richard and Cliff Richard are brothers. Or for that matter Little Richard. Or King Richard. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    What about Richard Cromwell (no relation)? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Sporky said:
    What about Richard Cromwell (no relation)? 
    He slipped on a Cavendish banana skin and broke his neck. That's a Cavendish banana mind, not to be confused with a Kampala banana. Unfortunately Richard never lived to find that out. Sad.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    I'm just glad nobody brought up Richard Blackwood. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I always used to feel sorry for Richard Clapton (his real name as I understand it) who was nearly-a-star in the 70s or early 80s with three or four bottom-of-the-top-ten hits and one or two proper ones. But with a name like that\, who could take him seriously? 

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    If it grew in the Sirhowy valley, it would be a Blackwood Blackwood.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    edited April 2023
    1.       Acacia melanoxylon / IPlantz         Australian Blackwood
    2.    Dalbergia melanoxylon - Wikipedia    African Blackwood

Two different woods.

Simples!

:-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^ You forgot Diospyros ebonasea Malaysian Blackwood

Meanwhile, here is some genuine Blackwood Blackwood

The tall, slender tress with the mostly-white trunks (left foreground and elsewhere) are a mix of Manna Gum (Eucalyptus viminalis) and Swamp Gum (Eucalyptus ovata); the middle storey trees with the dark, tesselated trunks (centre frame and scattered about) are Blackwoods. The beautifully manicured lawn is thanks to the local kangaroos (all Eastern Greys) and wallabies (mostly Swamp Wallabies). Cleared grassy understorey like this is not normal in tall, wet forest, it is artificially created, but the roos are pretty good at maintaining it once it's there.

The town of Blackwood (named after the tree) is in in the Central Highlands of Victoria on the Great Dividing Range. It exploded into prominence in 1854 when the gold rush brought 10 or 15 thousand miners to the district but faded away when the gold ran out. Today it has a population of about 500 and is notable as a nice place to go for picnics and outings about an hour's drive from Melbourne, and for the the Garden of St Eath, an excellent historic garden and public nursery. I took this picture not far from the nursery when I was down there buying some fruit trees in 2015. As a matter of detail, I've just finished the last of the pears from the pear tree I bought there that day and planted here in Ballarat. 

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37.4549627,144.3258414,14385m/data=!3m1!1e3

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 595