Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Curved Air - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Curved Air

What's Hot
DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
edited April 2023 in Music
Just found this lot. I am the only person not to have heard of them and their guitarist Kirby Gregory? Take a listen to 'Propositions' From 'Live 71' Album. Brilliant. Is that Hendrix or wot?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• maharg101maharg101 Frets: 568
    edited April 2023
    Great band. I too only found them recently. Great vibe to their music.  This is the track that got me hooked

This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited April 2023
    A very popular band in my teens, especially with young men at that time of my life; largely down to Sonja Kristina, but their music was good as well.

I saw them in 1972, supported by The Gary Moore Band at the Victoria Hall Hanley.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    On Metamorphosis there's a bit about 6 minutes in that's just glorious.

Back Street Luv: love the verse, chorus - not so much.

Vivaldi, starts and ends brilliantly. 

In summary, a band capable of great music but not necessarily for a whole song. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    I thought Sonja was an absolute goddess in her prime. I liked the band too. 
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1146
    I saw Curved Air a couple of times in the early seventies.  Yes, Sonja was FAF.  I think I'm correct in saying they released the very first picture disc for their first album entitled Air Conditioning.  I have a copy of the picture disc, sound quality is poor, but an iconic release nevertheless.
    After they disbanded, Daryl Way the violinist formed a band called Daryl Way's Wolf.  I saw them too.  Their guitarist was Chris Spedding, bloody hell he could play !
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 521
    Sonja was married to Stewart Copeland (Police drummer).
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    I saw Curved Air a couple of times in the early seventies.  Yes, Sonja was FAF.  I think I'm correct in saying they released the very first picture disc for their first album entitled Air Conditioning.  I have a copy of the picture disc, sound quality is poor, but an iconic release nevertheless.
    After they disbanded, Daryl Way the violinist formed a band called Daryl Way's Wolf.  I saw them too.  Their guitarist was Chris Spedding, bloody hell he could play !
    Was he in Fairport too 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    I've got a couple of their albums, but they are very dated.
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1146
    Was he in Fairport too 
    Unfamiliar with Fairport Convention, so don't know.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Sonja was married to Stewart Copeland (Police drummer).
    He was in a later line up pre The Police IRRC. Often one of the reasons quoted as to why they weren’t ‘punk.’

…and yet Spedding seen as a grandfather of punk as he produced the Sex Pistols demos (and often rumoured to be the actual guitarist on NMTB). 

Life is unfair. 

Anyway, Curved Air. My brother had a couple of their albums so I heard them in my teens. Given my disdain for a lot of the Prog era they had something a bit spunkier about them. 

If I can throw in a ‘surprisingly Hendrixian’ reference for anyone not familiar with early Chicago/Chicago Transit Authority when Terry Kath was still alive they had much more of a rock/acid rock thing going on than the soft rock hits they are known for in the U.K.

https://youtu.be/7uAUoz7jimg

For anyone unfamiliar with the story of Terry Kath the moral is guns and alcohol don’t mix. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    edited April 2023
    Was he in Fairport too 
    Don't think so but he was in the Wombles.

Easy confusion to make lol
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    saw them in Derby sometime in the late 70's - Think at the Kings Hall

Tony Reeves who was the bass player, ended up with a senior sales role with MM Electronics - Best selling pa desks of the day, plus Redmere Guitar Amps - @HarrySeven will tell you more about this - Then owner of MTR Electronics - Pro Audio company for recording, broadcast + PA systems
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Never heard of them - but that's a cracking band name!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    drofluf said:
    Was he in Fairport too 
    Don't think so but he was in the Wombles.

Easy confusion to make lol
    Daryl way though , not Chris spedding , I’m not a fairport fan but got a few friends who are fairport nuts,  I liked curved air for what it was & Copeland is awesome , but like I prefer to listen to starship these days instead of Jefferson airplane which I used to like , I’d sooner listen to more 80s stuff at home . I think curved air are playing near me soon this year but I’m skint 
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 476
    edited April 2023
    Never heard of them - but that's a cracking band name!
    They were named after named after the album A Rainbow in Curved Air by Terry Riley, which had been released in 1967. Francis Monkman had played in the first London performance of Riley's In C. They originally had been called Sisyphus, possibly the worst band name ever.
  • GJK1959GJK1959 Frets: 47
    Sonja was the archetypal hippy chick/babe of the era  :)

previously 'retsacotarts' on music radar forum
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    maharg101 said:
    Great band. I too only found them recently. Great vibe to their music.  This is the track that got me hooked

A young Derek Griffiths on drums?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I've certainly heard of the band, and of Sonja Kristina and Darryl Way, but it's only now reading this thread that I realise I've never heard anything by them.  I probably have, actually, on some old OGWT episode.
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2493
    Sisyphus, possibly the worst band name ever
    But very rock and roll.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thingthing Frets: 469
    boogieman said:
    I thought Sonja was an absolute goddess in her prime. I liked the band too. 

Ah, Sonja.I didn't realise they did music as well.
    This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.