Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD: Atkin OM37 White Rice - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD: Atkin OM37 White Rice

What's Hot
mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
edited April 2023 in Acoustics
Some of you may recall I was recently enquiring about the viabilty and wisdom of drilling a hole and mounting a pickup in a vintage Gibson J-45...

Anyway, to avoid making that decision I decided to pick up another acoustic for live stuff that will also offer a different tonal option to the Gibson, and I settled on a rather nice Atkin that I won't be afraid of modifying. 

This is a special edition OM37 with a black top and larger soundhole (borrowed from the design of their White Rice dreadnought). More pics on Imgur here.

Specs as follows: 
  • Baked sitka soundboard
  • Indian rosewood back, sides, and headstock
  • Ebony fingerboard and bridge
  • X scalloped bracing
It's in an aged nitro finish, but the aging is super subtle thankfully and looks great. I'm very happy indeed, and it'll be off to Providence Guitars in the next week or so to get an Anthem SL installed.

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    That's rather nice I must say. I like the edge binding. Happy NGD. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 417
    Played a White Rice last year in Coda Music, huge balanced sound. HNGD.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Well that's just gorgeous isn't it :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 531
    edited April 2023
    Very cool. Atkin are making amazing stuff at the moment. Congrats. Good taste in pedals too!
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    Epsilon said:
    Good taste in pedals too!
    Thanks, there's perhaps too many of them, and yet I keep buying more  :#
    JCA2550 said:
    Played a White Rice last year in Coda Music, huge balanced sound. HNGD.
    Yeh, this sounds pretty huge too considering it's an OM. It's a totally different sound to my J-45 as well, the Gibson sounds much more ballsy, this is a bit more refined maybe? 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    edited April 2023
    Holy shit - sound clips welcome.... Atkin was the best sounding guitar I played in shop yesterday...
    Where did you buy from?

BTW what's the neck shape.... is it a V or slim C?
    Holy shit - sound clips welcome.... Atkin was the best sounding guitar I played in shop yesterday...
    Where did you buy from?

BTW what's the neck shape.... is it a V or slim C?
    I bought it from Express Music in Leamingon Spa. Slim C on the neck.

I'll try and grab some recordings later for you, my setup is a mess atm as I've been rejigging everything in the home studio...
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    No worries and appreciated..!
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    Phwoar. 

That is all. :D 
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    Nice. Looks like the picture was taken in Cash Converters  ;) That's the only place I've seen that many pedals in one place......lol  =)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1786
    Jealous
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited April 2023
    still waiting to hear back from them on prices/possibility for a "semi" custom order......................  2 months and counting
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    bertie said:
    still waiting to hear back from them on prices/possibility for a "semi" custom order......................  2 months and counting
    If it makes you feel any better I also got bored of waiting for a response and went for this one, which was almost the same as what I was going to go for from their custom shop. 

Great at making guitars, but less good at answering emails it would seem. 
    mo6020 said:
    bertie said:
    If it makes you feel any better I also got bored of waiting for a response and went for this one, which was almost the same as what I was going to go for from their custom shop. 

Great at making guitars, but less good at answering emails it would seem. 
    ah thanks,  good to know (is it ? ) that Im not alone...............  I was only asking if they could put a bound fretboard and headstock on an OM37.......... and to cost up to version of custom back/sides...................  ho hum
    I had a similar query. It could just be that the “Contact” form on their website is broken maybe? Regardless, they make super nice guitars, and there’s a few custom OM builds doing the rounds at shops atm, so maybe worth taking a look at what’s out there as well..
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 531
    Best to call in my experience. I have likewise not had much luck through email, but they do answer the phone!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Epsilon said:
    Best to call in my experience. I have likewise not had much luck through email, but they do answer the phone!
    Good to know for the next time I have a chunk of money burning a hole in my pocket. Thanks. 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    edited April 2023
    Oh look! More (extremely) yummy OM's. Have dreadnoughts got too big? Love the crinkly black top @mo6020. Looks really nice.

On a more serious note, how much did you feel that effects tone?? Still think it's a shame that tFB doesn't include more mp3 or (even better) .wav soundbites of the lovely instruments we spend so much time lusting after. Are you pleased with tone?
    edited April 2023
    DavidR said:
    Oh look! More (extremely) yummy OM's. Have dreadnoughts got too big? Love the crinkly black top @mo6020. Looks really nice.

On a more serious note, how much did you feel that effects tone?? Still think it's a shame that tFB doesn't include more mp3 or (even better) .wav soundbites of the lovely instruments we spend so much time lusting after. Are you pleased with tone?
    Honestly, I’m ambivalent about the aged nitro, it feels nice under the hands but I doubt it does much to the tone compared to regular nitro. If I’d ordered from the custom shop I would have gone for the regular “mirror” finish. It does feel like a vintage guitar, tho, if that vintage guitar had brand new frets and a distinct lack of dents. 

I think the tonal secret Atkin have is in the high end woods, the way they bake the soundboard, and the quality manufacturing process, but I’m just riffing out loud really. 

I’m going to record something tomorrow to try and give an indicator of the sound, fwiw. 

Yeh, very pleased with the tone. It sounds great, and totally different to my J-45. The Gibson sounds a lot ballsier, and the Atkin more refined, I think? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    A :+1: from me. That looks well cool. 

:) 
    mo6020 said:
    and the Atkin more refined, I think? 
    just like me  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It looks great. Could I ask why is it called a ‘white rice’
    It looks great. Could I ask why is it called a ‘white rice’
    This is what Atkin say about the Dreadnought:

This very special Historic Series guitar is a loving recreation of Tony Rice’s infamous D28, a guitar previously owned by Clarence White, hence its name – The White Rice! With its instantly recognisable enlarged soundhole and overhanging fretboard, the original guitar is generally agreed to be one of the best sounding D28s in existence. We set out to build a no-compromise Dreadnought that would honour this exceptional guitar and its legendary owners.

• MSedgMSedg Frets: 88
    It’s a beauty. In my experience emailing them is useless and they need to urgently hire some admin folk - and that’s as a massive fan of Atkin. Having said that if you call them you will get the man himself after about 3 rings. What they should do really is delete the email address from the website, as all it does is annoy people. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Soupman said:
    Nice. Looks like the picture was taken in Cash Converters  ;) That's the only place I've seen that many pedals in one place......lol  =)

Do Cash Converters have tweed pedal altars?
    Classy :+1: 
    Soupman said:

Do Cash Converters have tweed pedal altars?
    Classy :+1: 
    If they don't they should have...