Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Bowie's most underrated or under appreciated song? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Bowie's most underrated or under appreciated song?

What's Hot
LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
I am in a Bowie kick at the minute. Trying (the emphasis on trying) to learn some of his songs on piano.

I am a massive fan of Absolute Beginners (1986). Bowie has said that it is one of his favourite songs that he wrote. But you rarely see it mentioned. Even went to no.2 in the UK.

The BBC 2000 version is fantastic (I loved that Bowie at the Beeb release with the bonus CD in 2000).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4tThlKubIA

Any other good shouts out there?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    I’m a long-time massive Bowie fan and play in a tribute band but Bowie’s catalogue is so huge that it’s almost impossible to pick one. I’m going to nominate Always Crashing In The Same Car from Low (my joint favourite album along with Ziggy Stardust).

FWIW we play a version of Absolute Beginners based on that BBC performance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Absolute Beginners is a masterpiece.

For me- Fascination off YA. Literally the most mid 70s feel- defines that era.

Another personal fave- Bang Bang, off Glass Spiders.

And 1984 of Di Dogs- just for Dennis Davies' drumming.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • slugeliseslugelise Frets: 106
    Everything on reality, especially Pablo Picasso 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 557
    LPManic said:
    The BBC 2000 version is fantastic (I loved that Bowie at the Beeb release with the bonus CD in 2000).
    Always thought the T-type Earl Slick was using at that time was quite a cool looking guitar. Wonder why Peavey didn't do anything more with it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Letter to Hermione from Space Oddity
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    barnstorm said:
    LPManic said:
    Always thought the T-type Earl Slick was using at that time was quite a cool looking guitar. Wonder why Peavey didn't do anything more with it.

They released it as a Slick sig. Some with bigsby.

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    The laughing gnome 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1521

So many!

After all

Up the hill backwards

Be my wife

All the madmen

Signet committee

Never get old

Thursday’s child

Through these architect’s eyes

Look back in anger

I'll think of more in a minute.

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    The whole of Low side 1, various tracks on Lodger (Boys Keep Swinging and Look back in anger spring to mind)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    LPManic said:
    I am in a Bowie kick at the minute. Trying (the emphasis on trying) to learn some of his songs on piano.

I am a massive fan of Absolute Beginners (1986). Bowie has said that it is one of his favourite songs that he wrote. But you rarely see it mentioned. Even went to no.2 in the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4tThlKubIA

Any other good shouts out there?
    Written for a terrible film starring the world’s most vacuous woman so probably suffers a bit by association. It’s also very long (even the single edit is over 5 minutes) so won’t be a first choice for DJs. 
    The guitarist on the studio version is Kevin Armstrong who’s name didn’t mean much to me but did quite a bit with Bowie and other high profile gigs (and had been in Prefab Sprout).

Here’s a link to The Guardian’s take on Bowie’s best songs and includes AB:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/dec/03/david-bowie-10-of-the-best
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    Gassage said:
    barnstorm said:
    LPManic said:

Did they?! I’ve never even seen a pic - must have been very small numbers.
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2493
    The other sprawling 80s Bowie song that should possibly have more attention is Loving the Alien. Tonight is one of those albums that would make a great EP (and speaking of EPs, in the time between the Berlin trilogy and Scary Monsters, Bowie did the Brecht/Weill Baal songs, including The Drowned Girl, which is amazing). And in the same vibe, there's The Buddha of Suburbia and Strangers When We Meet.

Does Blackstar count? I think that album's flawless, and is one of my favourite Bowie albums. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns2hmyP0mGY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0smYeB7Zxc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHPIAFaKd1I
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FQc4tbNjPA

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    drofluf said:
    Letter to Hermione from Space Oddity
    Such a beautiful song, one of his best. My other fave is Be My Wife, the video for it is a scream…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjCM_X3xpRM
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    edited April 2023
    Saw the thread title and immediately thought of Absolute Beginners.
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 471
    Time. I had surgery recently and that was the last and first song I heard before and after.
    Awesome
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    barnstorm said:
    Gassage said:
    barnstorm said:
    LPManic said:

Did they?! I’ve never even seen a pic - must have been very small numbers.

Sorry my bad- it was done via Framus not peavey

Gassage said:
    The red one of those was a bit of a looker, too! Especially with the Bigsby.
    barnstorm said:
    Gassage said:
    The red one of those was a bit of a looker, too! Especially with the Bigsby.

In this handy video guide, Slicky sets the new standard for solos played whilst sparking a Marlboro up mid song.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited April 2023
    I always have a strange fascination (ha, see what I did there) for Changes and also, perhaps more unlikely, the one that ends with "Sunmachine is coming down" etc for which i can't remember the title.

Lazarus on Blackstar also hits very hard, though i suspect context helps that as much as anything
    Pretty mainstream...

But- Adrian Belew's fills and harmonies behind the song are so exquisite it's unbelievable 

Just makes this version of the song for me. So tasteful. The licks behind 'I stumble into town' bit- wonderous.

• toescantalktoescantalk Frets: 142
    edited April 2023
    Buddha of Suburbia is pretty marvellous.

• PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 931
     she shook me cold
    Gassage said:

In this handy video guide, Slicky sets the new standard for solos played whilst sparking a Marlboro up mid song.

My favourite thing about that performance is the person in the audience optimistically holding up a giant request for Magic Dance.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    Bring Me The Disco King.
    This reworked version for the Underworld soundtrack is truly epic. Guest vocals from Maynard James Keenan and guitar by John Frusciante.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    Some great recommendations here! Thank you everyone!

I suppose Andy Warhol on Bob Harris in '72 is another classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkrK61qXkgE

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Speed of Life from Low.

Starman. It's just brilliant. The version on the BBC sessions thing may be better than the original version. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064

the one that ends with "Sunmachine is coming down" etc for which i can't remember the title.

Memory Of A Free Festival (Pt.2)
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 256
    Already mentioned I'd like to echo the nominations of Always Crashing In The Same Car, Be My Wife and Strangers When We Meet as some of my favourites. I'd like to throw Fantastic Voyage from Lodger in as another. 

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    Keefy said:

the one that ends with "Sunmachine is coming down" etc for which i can't remember the title.

Memory Of A Free Festival (Pt.2)
    Thanks, was there a part 1?

I'll do my own version called Memory of a Goldfish
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    As a kid I loved the laughing gnome. Just sayin ...