Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Humidity changes !! - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Humidity changes !!

What's Hot
sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
70% on Friday and the highest daily rainfall in March for 102 years 

today, 31% !!!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    That's OK mate.

As long as the low RH reading is short, your guitars will be fine. 

:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    It’s been in low 30s all day, only in the last hour has it hit 40 .  Never seen such a big change in such a short time 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    70% to 30% is not really a worry. Both levels are a bit outside the recommended range, but not very far outside. Neither will do any harm if the time is limited. 

Most parts of the world are "guitar friendly" in that sense. The obvious (but not only) exception is the USA which has two different interacting risk factors (a) a very peculiar climate with massive extremes of heat and cold (this is a consequence of its geography - essentially the mountain ranges down each coast act as a funnel which amplifies Arctic blasts way down into what would normally be tropical and sub-tropical regions, so you end up with huge variations - and (b) a cultural addiction to  over-heating and over-cooling. Throw in their liking for under-built guitars and you get real problems. But most other places are less troublesome.

I am intrigued by how stable the RH is inside our house. (I don't know if other houses are similar or not.) As a rule of thumb, you can halve the change in outside RH - e.g., if it goes from 50% to 80% outside, inside might go to 65%. Yep, the structure of the house and its thermal inertia evens out the changes to air temperature, I can get my mind around that OK, but I'm intrigued by the way humidity is so (relatively) stable.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    And yes, the weather is screwy. All over the world strange stuff is happening more and more often. Scary.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    Also seen wild swings here... 38 to 65 over last few months. Have now got a humidifier as well as a dehumidifer!
  • deejayendeejayen Frets: 8
    31% seems really low.  Are you in the UK? 

I'm in Scotland, and it's been around 70% to 80% in recent weeks, but has dropped to around 65% at times this week.

When I was looking at cheapish hygrometers recently, most seemed to be accurate to within 3 to 5%, so perhaps that accounts for some of the numbers.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited April 2023
    my - not overly dry (as in we suffer with condensation a lot) - cottage always ranges between 45 and 60,   -   you are taking these measurements indoors arent you ?  unless of course you keep your guitars in the garden 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    Yes, in the kitchen. I only bought my acoustic recently, so I've been keeping the guitar there as it's usually a little bit warmer.  I put the hygrometer in the guitar case once, and it measured something like 66%.  I've ordered some of those Boveda high absorbency things! 
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 270
    deejayen said:
    The OP's location says Winchester. The last time I was there it is was in the UK.
    Whistler said:
    deejayen said:
    The OP's location says Winchester. The last time I was there it is was in the UK.
    Wokingham in fact :)
     I worked in Wokingham for a wee while, and it did feel like the Sahara compared to Inverness!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    52% now chez nous (W. Essex)
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited April 2023
    deejayen said:
    Yes, in the kitchen. I 
    sorry,  that was for @sev112 ;;;       buuuuut,  the kitchen, like the bathroom is the most humid room of the house
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    RH 53% here in S Lincolnshire.

FWIW, I use Humidipaks in the case, cigar hygrometer in the room, and in summer I use a dehumidifier to prevent RH getting too high. And that's about it really, except I may add moisture if stubbornly low. 

:) 
    Back up to 53 this morning , so a jump from 31 in 2 days !